Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased an 01 zx7r. The bike ran perfectly fine at first but now is giving me some problems. First the idle jumps up to 2500 rpms but if I let out on the clutch it comes back down. The second problem is I feel like the clutch is not enganging all the time. Sometimes when I try to put the bike in first gear it sounds like when you put your hand in a ceiliing fan. Second gear was doing the same thing but if I ride the clutch a little it goes into gear fine. I tried to search the problem but I'm not to sure I am searching the right thing.

·
Registered
674 Posts
First the idle jumps up to 2500 rpms but if I let out on the clutch it comes back down
Is your choke on? did try lowering your idle with the idle adjuster? If so, try cleaning your carbs and make sure there are no vacuum leaks

Sometimes when I try to put the bike in first gear it sounds like when you put your hand in a ceiliing fan
Your bike curses like a sailor?
If you mean theres a clunk, thats normal. If your talking about a grinding sound then your clutch may not be DISengaging properly. Try bleeding your clutch. Failing that, take the slave cylinder off and see if the push rod has been tampered with. There should be a little cap on the end of the push rod. If that's not there it could cause problems.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
It sounds to me like the clutch is dragging and the PO had the idle up to compensate for the drag on the engine.

replace the fluid in your clutch cylinder, bleed it well... check for leaks...

if this doesnt solve it i am going to say it sounds like your due for a clutch

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First thanks for the help. When I come to stop sometimes the bike idles at 2500 rpms but when I let the clutch out and the bike moves forward the idle comes down to normal. Its not all of the time but every so often when I try to put the bike in gear it sounds horrible and doesn't go into gear. It sounds just like when you put your hand in a ceiling fan and does not go into gear. It doesn't happen every time and its only every once in a while. It doesn't grind but it does give me that weird sound. I just don't want to break anything.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If the idle is much above 1500 it's going to clunk into gear pretty harsh.

Normal idle is 1100-1300.

If the idle isn't consistent then you likely have trash inside the carbs or a major vacuum leak that is sealing and unsealing causing the idle fluxuation.

Josh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts