Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everybody, i have a problem with my 92 zx11 and don't know what the problem is, when i take my bike out for a ride and it is cold everything is fine but when it starts to get hot the two fuel lights and oil light begin to flash on the instrument cluster when i come to a stop, but when i take off again they go out. I checked all the fluids they look good.
Do I have a bad fuel level sensor or a bad thermostat?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Neither of them. You have a bad oil pressure relief switch (or a bad contact on it); this is a very common problem on ZX-11. This switch is located under the engine, close to the oil filter cover and hidden under a small rubber boot. The switch is bad or the connection on it is about to break.

Remove the rubber boot and inspect the connection, wire or the steel connector. If you have to undo the screw at the connection, be careful as it breaks very easily (M3 or M4 thread). Soak it with WD40 before you make an attempt. If the connection is good, then the oil switch need to be replaced. Should be less than $20 at any Kawasaki dealer.

Some junk the rubber boot and some leave it there. If you leave it there, use a lot of dielectric grease inside the boot before snapping it back in place.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks for the info i will look into and let you know, thanks again

Bruno

I took your advice Claude and took the pressure relief switch off and it was rustier than hell in the boot so i removed the boot all together and cleaned it up and now I do not get the flashing lights anymore.

Thanks a million a really appreciate your help.

Bruno

·
Registered
7 Posts
just want to say, this information also helped me over the weekend.
I was experiencing the same problem with my 11, cleaned out the connector and sprayed it out with contact spray and that solved the problem.
Thanks for the info and thank you for this resourceful site.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got an '84 GPz1100 and the oil light is blinking. I removed the wire from the sender and grounded it, the light then went out so I figure that the sender is bad. I took it out of the oil cooler block and inspected it. It looks a little weird but not broke or anything. Appears that if you push it up as if when installed and engine running the oil pressure would break the ground contact with the sender leg and make the light come on. WTF? Any ideas?

Lawrence

1 - 9 of 9 Posts