Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my 2002 ZX9R not long ago. The PO used Bel-Ray Super Clean as a chain lube which made the chain unbelievably dirty. The PO sure didn't look as though he took much time cleaning it [chain]. I've sense cleaned the chain and lubed it (not Bel-Ray), but at the time noticed the chain guard had a lot of Bel-Ray along with gravel on the inside. So I cleaned that out , but thought I'll bet the Primary Drive sprocket cover would need to be looked at. Well, yesterday I finally got around to pulling the cover and sure enough there it was. So, if you're not accustom to removing your sprocket cover from time to time you may want to give it a thought just to see what's going on inside there.
Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Gas Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim Gas

Reactions: 92Ninjas

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took me a little bit to clean especially with that sticky Bel-Ray Super Clean chain lube gummed up in there. I don't have a Parts Washer so it takes me longer to clean this sort of stuff.
Auto part Composite material Fashion accessory Metal Circle

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,701 Posts
Maxima chain wax is unbelievably sticky. I used generous amounts of brake cleaner to clean the chain guard. Next time I need to lube the chain, I'll take a look at my front sprocket cover and primary drive cover as well. PO switched to a 520 chain from a 525. I have no idea why.

Reactions: KBear

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maxima chain wax is unbelievably sticky. I used generous amounts of brake cleaner to clean the chain guard.
That's unusual about Maxima Chain Wax. I use Maxima Chain Wax and it doesn't accumulate and gum up on my bike's chain like PJ1 and this Bel-Ray Super Clean has and does. Chain Wax also doesn't fling off near as bad as the others. What's bad about the gummy chain lubes they will pick up fine gravel pieces and that gravel sticks to the chain and gets distributed across the final drive system. Not a good thing.

Next time I need to lube the chain, I'll take a look at my front sprocket cover and primary drive cover as well.
Yes, you should really take a look at it. We tend to forget this part of the maintenance practice. Do you need to take the cover off every time you lube the chain? NO. You should, however, keep in mind that every so often, maybe every couple years depending on what chain lubricate you are using remove that cover to have a look at what sort of junk is getting stuffed up inside there. That small gravel is like sandpaper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts