Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an 02 a few weeks ago. It runs and rides fine but there are some "previous owner modifications" that I need to sort out to restore it to it's rightful bad-ass-ness. These previous owners were apparently serious hacks. The mirrors are about to fall off, there are english bolts in metric holes, half the fairing fasteners are missing, there is only one somewhat working turn signal, and my favorite is this little beauty...

I bought an owners manual and it says the seat lock is supposed to be there. Nope. So I searched around and I found it...

The key goes in and it turns but nothing happens. The seat does not come off. And of course all those allen head screws in that weird aluminum piece don't come out either. Apparently there are nuts inside. But since I can't get the passenger seat off I can't get to them. And while I am at it, I think the taillight looks angled down too...

Has anyone ever seen a set-up like this before? Got any suggestion of how to get this apart, or at least get the passenger seat off? I've got a nice new green undertail piece, new used ebay passenger grab handles, and some turn signals I would really like to put on. Any help would be most appreciated!

·
Registered
88 Posts
take a long flat and turn the lever yourself had to do it on my 636 when i locked the key under the seat like a retard. The bolt hole are ruined and will need re tapped which sucks and as for the bolts themselves id junk them all and get a fairing bolt kit and get the other random bolts online or at a dealer or hardware store with a good metric selection. it will take some time but she can be fixed up!!

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Light is def effed up, wtf is that green thing? wtf @ the undertail...

And I am pretty sure you have the same paint scheme as me.

POST MORE PICS.

·
Registered
602 Posts
This is why I hate buying modded used bikes. You never know what you are getting into. The PO could have been a genius or a full on retard.

·
11,782 Posts
Drill a hole in that undertail and go at it with a set of tin snips until you can get inside. As for everything else, well, it just looks like you're going to have to take your time and go over it bit by bit and make sure it's all properly repaired. And, I'm not sure, but it almost looks like the taillight cover is installed upside down. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for their inputs. In my earlier years I worked at General Cycle (parts), then FDR Cycle (service), then Suzuki Ann Arbor (sales). When it comes to mechanicals, the customer was more often the cause of problems than was normal wear and tear. Fortunately in this case the previous owner modifications are limited to cosmetic stuff. The engine, carbs, wiring, suspension, frame, drive train and brakes are all unmolested and/or professionally maintained. Yeah, this bike is a bit of a project but compared to my most recent last project it's no big deal.

I posted the tail section pics because I figured some of you might get a kick out of what the P.O. (definitely "full on retard" ha ha ha) did to this poor bike. I'll post more pics as I go. And incidently that green thing is a screw-on reflector. I guess they must have thought it looked better than having a seat lock in the hole.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, why did you buy it then?
I've wanted another bike for a long time, I like Kawasakis, especially Ninjas, it's mechanically sound, runs great, and I got it for a pretty cheap price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts