Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any factory recommended preload settings for the 2006 zx6r?

The front preload has a min. of 10mm to a max. of 27mm. I'm 85kgs and already nearly at 27mm preload and under hard braking I'm getting close to the bottom of the forks. With the normal forks at 85kgs, should I be looking at harder springs?

Pete.

·
Registered
234 Posts
For braking dive you should be increasing compression dampening, not preload...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Still are there any factory recommended (From Kawasaki) preload settings?
For braking dive you should be increasing compression dampening, not preload...
I am under the impression that the dampening controls the speed of which the spring compresses and rebounds the spring and the preload sets the spring for weight so not to bottom out or over extend.

I don't have a problem with the speed in which the front forks compress,(the bike doesn't drift out when braking into the corner)

·
Registered
582 Posts
From owners handbook:
Front: 10-25mm Standard: 17 mm preload
Rebound: 1 3/4 turns out from fully seated (at the top)
Compression: 3/4 turns out
From manual:
Rear: Rebound: (bottom) 9 clicks out
Compression 3/4 turns out

Preload useable range 177.7mm - 187.7 mm
Standard: 182.8mm

Factory suggested for 68kg rider 180 mm

There's a '05'06 manual under manuals in the mechanical/tchnical section.

I run: Front 17mm 2 turns rebound 1 comp
Read 182mm 8 clicks 1turn

gammac

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Still are there any factory recommended (From Kawasaki) preload settings?

I am under the impression that the dampening controls the speed of which the spring compresses and rebounds the spring and the preload sets the spring for weight so not to bottom out or over extend.

I don't have a problem with the speed in which the front forks compress,(the bike doesn't drift out when braking into the corner)
You're correct, I looked it up...I asked this question on a different forum and was apparently told wrong. Going to have to find that person and hurt them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts