Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Concours14 powerlet female end is the same diameter as BMW's? It appears visually to be larger, can anyone confirm this with first hand knowledge?

I am planning to buy a BMW heated vest and begin wearing it. Has anyone ridden with only a heated vest? Does having a heated vest make you "forget" how cold your hands are? I am planning to ride only with heated vest and non-heated winter gloves....

Thanks in advance or all knowlegeable responses!

·
Registered
93 Posts
power adapter

I had the same problem with mine on the GTR. I have a Klan heated jacket which has an odd side connector for the power outlet.The GTR one is the same as a car cigarette lighter.The Bmw one is slightly smaller and you will have to change the connector on your jacket.
I have an optimate trickle charger on the bike and changed the connecter on my jacket for the same one that plugs to / from the bike to the charger. Now when on the bike the 12v power plug is free to use for gps etc and the connecter for the charger is'nt flapping about. Either way it all goes direct to the battery anyway.Just make sure if you take this route you have an inline fuse on the jacket. Some connectors have a fuse built in. The fuse rating on my jacket is 10 but yours may be different.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know if the Concours14 powerlet female end is the same diameter as BMW's? It appears visually to be larger, can anyone confirm this with first hand knowledge?

I am planning to buy a BMW heated vest and begin wearing it. Has anyone ridden with only a heated vest? Does having a heated vest make you "forget" how cold your hands are? I am planning to ride only with heated vest and non-heated winter gloves....

Thanks in advance or all knowlegeable responses!
I just bought a ZG1400. Since the powerport was on the wrong side for heated clothing (and the cigarette lighter type and size), I added a powerport to the left hand side using the blank plate already on the bike. I used a BMW powerport (get the one for the GS series at a BMW dealer), comes with a pigtail that can be directly wired to the battery). Works just fine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just bought a ZG1400. Since the powerport was on the wrong side for heated clothing (and the cigarette lighter type and size), I added a powerport to the left hand side using the blank plate already on the bike. I used a BMW powerport (get the one for the GS series at a BMW dealer), comes with a pigtail that can be directly wired to the battery). Works just fine.
Yeah - I was thinking of doing that too, I have a widders electric vest and arms and might get the gloves to go with it for next winter, all are in the BMW size plug, so I'll meanwhile get an adapter for the standard socket. I find the BMW-type plug/socket are more secure than the car-cig lighter type.
I might miss the heated grips on the GS though:rolleyes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

barryjames - is it possible you post a couple pics of your install? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah - I was thinking of doing that too, I have a widders electric vest and arms and might get the gloves to go with it for next winter, all are in the BMW size plug, so I'll meanwhile get an adapter for the standard socket. I find the BMW-type plug/socket are more secure than the car-cig lighter type.
I might miss the heated grips on the GS though:rolleyes
I had the dealer install heated grips before I picked up the bike!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts