Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else have to work like a slut to get their '07 to wheelie? I slack off the gas at around 8-10k and hammer it again and it only comes up like a foot or so.....is it lack of power or am i doing something wrong? :banghead

·
Registered
101 Posts
i cant get mine up at all like that (i wiegh about 210 lb).
i gotta clutch it up. go about 25-30mph clutch it to about 10,000rpm and let it fly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm about 6'3 and 220lbs....i can rise it a bit but as for clutching it, for me its impossible...guess its lack of torque.:rolleyes

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
yank up on it about 10k after u snap the throtle, that may help

·
Registered
264 Posts
Power wheelies on a 600 takes alot of practice. Its all about timing. An empty gas tank and a little hill helps too. I did a little reading before I bought mine. The wheel base, placement of the engine and lack of midrange ponies makes powering it up difficult. Its almost like it was designed not to come up off the throttle :rant

·
Registered
7 Posts
I mainly clutch mine. But i can power it up in first and second gear. I weigh about 180. In first i rev it up to 9000 drop the front and and crack it wide open and it comes up. In second i do the same but i stand up and lean back. alot of it has to do with how your front suspension is set up. I have mine as soft as it will go so it drops further when you let off the gas before you try to bring it up. I stiffened the front suspension and i couldn't get much more that 6 inches up. so i had to loosen it back up. hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
I find this interesting about the 07 ZX6R. My 636 will come up effortlessly a couple inches in 1st gear without wanting it to. Just WOT from a stop, around 11-12k the front tire will come up even leaning on the tank. When I want it to wheelie, I chop the throttle around 9-10k in 1st then get right back on it. It comes up silly fast and as high as I want, zero clutch use. I can't do the same in 2nd gear though. I'm still getting comfortable getting the front up like that. I just put a 14 tooth front sprocket on it and with a 100% full tank of fuel, and me blatantly leaning on the tank, it'll still pull the front tire about 2-3" in 1st gear as the tach swings toward redline. If I were to sit up at WOT in first, it'd really stand up...even with a smooth roll on from a dead stop. The power of the 636 vs. the 07 in the upper revs shouldn't be all that different when it comes to wheelies.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i was out messin around today and yes i can get the front up on power alone. but its so small. and as for looping it. it very possible. im having a difficult time finding the right power zone when clutching it up. it either goes up and comes down . or it will go up high enough to freak me out and il let off. i might change the rear sprocket soon, just so i can get it up easier.

·
Registered
990 Posts
If you are new to wheelies always have your foot covering the back brake pedal then if it does try to loop you have a better chance of catching it before the point of no return :scared

Wheelies are all about co-ordinating clutch & throttle unless you have an excess of torque. If you do a search here there are a few threads that show you how to do them in a progressive manner (using video clips) so you are always in control (hopefully) Have FUN! :crazyloco

·
Registered
144 Posts
On the comments of the 636 power wheelies being easier, just remember that there were extra cc's as well as the fact they went down 2 teeth on the back sprocket. That makes it even less torque for the 07. The new bikes are meant to race with very little compromise for the street.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i know i know, my 10 r comes up with no problem in 1st and 2nd. Plus 1 for covering the rear brake.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Now I don't want to start any arguments or negativity here, but in my 30 years of riding (21 bikes with 6 off-roads amongs them), I have yet to understand the point of intentional "Wheelies" !!

The risk of damaging the front forks, cracking the frame, wearing out the front bearings, chain and sprockets, etc. have yet to make sense to me!!
Not even to speak of the chance to loose it or flip it!

Maybe I am just not a "Showman".

That is also why I am very weary of buying a secondhand bike! Never know how much abuse it has taken!

·
Registered
34 Posts
i went down 2 teeth on the front and it is like riding a new bike again i love it i could wheelie the bike before but it is much much easier now

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do you guys know how much speed yu loose by chenging the sprockets? I'm thinking about doing this to but.. Don't want to loose any top end.. If I go down a tooth or two in the front, will this be to hard on the motor? I dunno... What are the pros and cons on the front sprocket.. And if I change the rear... How much speed do I really loose... Cause 166 maxed out won't move faster and there are still rpms left with the factory setting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
drop a tooth in the front and it will come up no problem... i wiegh about 165 and do wheelies on mine all the time even reall when i dont want to .. lol but i have mine set up for the drag track .. so no more wheelies for me......

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'll drop the front tooth... but like I was saying... Where do you loose by doing that? Is it hard on your motor... What about your speedo.... will that still work... I've never messed with sprockets before... and with the front down one tooth, am I trading high speed for jumpers....?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'll drop the front tooth... but like I was saying... Where do you loose by doing that? Is it hard on your motor... What about your speedo.... will that still work... I've never messed with sprockets before... and with the front down one tooth, am I trading high speed for jumpers....? Any time you gear a bike down you loose top speed i went down 2 teeth on the front of my bike just because i like a lot of low end power and yes 1 tooth you can still ride wheelie but i think 2 would make the biggest change if you go 1 down in the front it is the same gearing as a stock 636 my speedo is off around 10 mph after doing this i need a speedo heeler but havint gotin one yet . and as far as top speed i know my bike will still run 160 + so it is still plenty fast if you own a 07 you know they were airplane geared any way .

1 - 20 of 96 Posts