Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New to the forum but not new to motorcycles. Having a problem with 1994 zx600. Background, 12,000 miles, mint condition, all maintenance up to date, 140 mains and 38 pilots, V&H four into one. Symptoms, very slight stutter of the line at full throttle, then powere kicks in, will accelerate hard threw the gears at full throttle till 145ish then will lurch and buck. Symptom, roll on power in 6th gear is good till 7k and then stumbles and sputters till 9k and then kicks back in. This will happen in 3rd through 6th gear at WOT. If my shift points are above 9k all is great but if I roll on the throttle from a relaxed rpm it stutters and is sluggish till 9k. Have tried multiple clip positions on the needle. Carbs are perfectly synced, plugs are new and wires are in good shape. Spark demand is high at WOT and under load so possibly coil weak at that throttle position and load demand? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,606 Posts
Too much fuel or not enough fuel at those RPMs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too much fuel or not enough fuel at those RPMs
Exactly what I originally thought but multiple jet swaps, float heights and needle clip positions have yielded no change or in some cases, worse. Timing can change at load but as far as I know, these bikes have fixed timing, correct me if I’m wrong. I’ve not tried 93 octane as it’s hard to come by in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Exactly what I originally thought but multiple jet swaps, float heights and needle clip positions have yielded no change or in some cases, worse. Timing can change at load but as far as I know, these bikes have fixed timing, correct me if I’m wrong. I’ve not tried 93 octane as it’s hard to come by in my neck of the woods.
I don't think the fuel octane has anything to do with it. You could tape half of the ram air mesh off, go for ride and see what the results are. Worse, same or better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the fuel octane has anything to do with it. You could tape half of the ram air mesh off, go for ride and see what the results are. Worse, same or better.
done that as well. Also filet in or out, no noticeable difference. I’m at a loss. Firs Kawasaki in years. Had Hondas and still have an FJ600. Never been stumped like this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This bike has had this problem since I purchased it. Carbs have been gone through. Had 128 mains in it. I’ve worked my way up to 140s. I have some 110s. Can’t believe believe 110s would make a difference. If anything, I’d think I’d be way too lean but that’s my next step.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
This bike has had this problem since I purchased it. Carbs have been gone through. Had 128 mains in it. I’ve worked my way up to 140s. I have some 110s. Can’t believe believe 110s would make a difference. If anything, I’d think I’d be way too lean but that’s my next step.
Out of curiosity, does it have a DynoJet kit in it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Out of curiosity, does it have a DynoJet kit in it?
Honestly not sure. Previous owner did drill the slides. Had 132 mains and 32 pilots in it and ran like garbage. I’ve gotten it much better with what I’ve done. I did repair the slides and not I different so I’ve since redrilled. Today I’m going to raise the needle one clip positions and see what that does. I’ll be at #4 spot on the needle. I’m slightly rich at idle now, which is fine. Things are great if I’m wide open from 1st to 6th, no issues but if I roll on the throttle 3rd and up and hit 7k I get the sputter and slow acceleration. Indicating lean condition. Will give update this evening after changing clip position.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plugged screen in the tank, I believe. Won’t run in on position now. Runs in reserve position but seems to lean out under load. Will clean screens and readjust float height when I get a chance. Any recommendations for float height?
4 into one exhaust 140 mains and 38 pilots. Also have been using fuel filters from advanced auto. They are the biggest inline filters they have.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Plugged screen in the tank, I believe. Won’t run in on position now. Runs in reserve position but seems to lean out under load. Will clean screens and readjust float height when I get a chance. Any recommendations for float height?
4 into one exhaust 140 mains and 38 pilots. Also have been using fuel filters from advanced auto. They are the biggest inline filters they have.
Without looking at a service manual, I would be guessing. Sooo....

My guess is, 14.5mm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts