Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

This pictured in 2011 with 68K on the odo is a highly modified 1985 ZX 900 and was my 1st street bike. I bought it in 1989 with 11 k miles on it for $2500. This was from the Kawi era that the valve train was a crap shoot and this bike was one of the bad apples but I didn't know chit about bikes when I was 26. I ran the motor with zero clearance on the cams and wasted the motor.
I rebuilt the motor and milled 90 thou off the head, 3 angle valve job, ZX 11 valves, all new Kawi rockers, ported, valve springs shimmed for more seat pressure, Web cams w/t slotted cam gears, degreed cams, punched it out beyond factory pistons to a 977 cc. Custom Cogsworth pistons, Factory reconditioned rods with good studs, Shot peened rods along with cryogenic hardened crank and rods, No base gasket, Had to modify a factory head gasket because bore was bigger than factory specs. Kerker 4 in to 2 exhaust, 36 mm flat slide carbs with stage 4 jet kit. Billet clutch basket with aftermarket springs. Progressive front springs and aftermarket rear coilover. Rear set pegs. Bought all NOS fairings and every rubber and hardware needed for the body work. I built a custom fresh air intake to catch and funnel air into the radiator (not pictured) 12.8 :1 measured compression. Factory output around 80 hp. After build dynoed @ 135hp. 114 ft lbs

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,165 Posts
Good gracious, that's a badass Vintage Ninja

· Registered
5,165 Posts

· Registered
5,165 Posts
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Are 90's Sport Bikes considered Old Skool? If so, this is a 93 ZXR750 L Model. Pic is circa 2013. I bought it with a SBM set of cylinders (880cc). Blew con rod #3. Swapped in my old L engine. Tightened the master link on my chain too much. Chain broke and smacked a hole in my crankcase. Bought a salvage J motor that has at least 20k mi. Clutch slave failed after 1 ride. So, currently has an unmolested J motor installed. That might change within 1-2 years. I may be able to have the 880cc cylinders repaired. My only issue would then to source a set; ideally; of 77mm pistons or at least source 1 77mm piston to slap into the current J engine. Then swap my L head and enjoy 880cc of brute force. I can plan and dream, right?

Edit: Both of those seats are off of my totaled/old se7en. I have the pair that came off of this bike that are in better condition.

· Registered
828 Posts
View attachment 21404

Are 90's Sport Bikes considered Old Skool? If so, this is a 93 ZXR750 L Model. Pic is circa 2013. I bought it with a SBM set of cylinders (880cc). Blew con rod #3. Swapped in my old L engine. Tightened the master link on my chain too much. Chain broke and smacked a hole in my crankcase. Bought a salvage J motor that has at least 20k mi. Clutch slave failed after 1 ride. So, currently has an unmolested J motor installed. That might change within 1-2 years. I may be able to have the 880cc cylinders repaired. My only issue would then to source a set; ideally; of 77mm pistons or at least source 1 77mm piston to slap into the current J engine. Then swap my L head and enjoy 880cc of brute force. I can plan and dream, right?

Edit: Both of those seats are off of my totaled/old se7en. I have the pair that came off of this bike that are in better condition.
Yep it’s old school now.

· Registered
534 Posts
Man that would be a tough choice between the cb750 and the gpz
The DOHC CB750F had the superior engine, it really revved and responded to pipe, jet and filter tuning. In fact it would pull away from a buddy's VFR750.
That said I miss the SOHC CB750F the most. There's just something about the smell, sound, and experience on a vintage bike.

· Premium Member
6,729 Posts

A few of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
5,165 Posts
Reactions: Old-n-fast

· Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Is that a slingshot gsxr 750?
No. The Slingshots were 88-89. They had a different bore/stroke compared to the 85-87 and 90-92 GSXR750’s. The head was also different. Mine is a typical, run of the mill 87 with a few upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
534 Posts
Is that a slingshot gsxr 750?
The mid-eighties was the most revolutionary period in sport motorcycles with race styling, technology and suspension advances every year. I remember enjoying an evening beer and chat with another motorcyclist at an outdoor patio bar. He invited me to take his GSX-R 1100 for a spin, what an opportunity. It was INTIMIDATING to fire up and sit on that monster leaned over with the tank nearly touching my chest and the race type gauges glowing. What a ride and what a nice guy to trust me with it. Guess the condition of my hot rodded CB750F gave him the confidence that I could handle it.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

· Registered
5,165 Posts
The mid-eighties was the most revolutionary period in sport motorcycles with race styling, technology and suspension advances every year. I remember enjoying an evening beer and chat with another motorcyclist at an outdoor patio bar. He invited me to take his GSX-R 1100 for a spin, what an opportunity. It was INTIMIDATING to fire up and sit on that monster leaned over with the tank nearly touching my chest and the race type gauges glowing. What a ride and what a nice guy to trust me with it. Guess the condition of my hot rodded CB750F gave him the confidence that I could handle it.
View attachment 21411
I had an opportunity to buy a 94 gsxr 1100 for a very, very reasonable price. But, didn't buy it because then I wouldn't be able to dump more money in my 95 Eldorado (money pit). After doing a little bit of research, the 94 was the magical, unicorn year of the gsxr 1100. They finally dialed in the geometry of the bike and it was water cooled. The engine was still responsive to exhaust swaps and jetting. From what I've read, every model year gsxr 1100 rides a little differently than the next due to Suzuki experimenting with the rake, trail, etc. Quite fascinating to me honestly.

Reactions: Old-n-fast

· Registered
17 Posts
Great work!! It is 2022 and I got a 1990 ZX7 that had been abandoned and sitting for 15 years collecting dust. Put a bit of oil in the spark plug holes and let it sit for a couple days, then some diesel fuel on top. Disconnected the gas tank lines and fuel filter and what a stink from that gallon plus of stagnant rotten fuel. Turned her over with a new MotoBatt and she cranked. Tank was rusted and the lid corroded into place with some white crystalline substance so I had to drill the original gas cap to get it off. Cleaned it with a wire brush and disassembled it to soak in carb cleaner. New seal, new OEM cap found through Babbitt’s Online, and a couple tank flushes to prep for starting. With a spare new fuel can, new oil, filter, fuel filters, she cranked and fired!!!! A bit of VP gas through the Carbs and some healthy carb cleaner and she has come back from the dead! It is now running with new tires, brakes rebuilt, new fork springs and rechromed and polished tubes and casings, new OEM original mirrors and side reflectors, cleaned and lightly polished the paint and frame, disassembled the fairings/headlamps/speedo and carefully cleaned and polished everything including the wire looms. Every day I find just a little more dirt to remove, and now my son, born in 2006, rides the 1990 Icon sharing her glory!!!!! Great to hear others are restoring these 1990s era Ninjas and keeping them on the road screaming out the sounds of their Muzzy and D&D piped engines! Ninjas Forever!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 53 Posts