Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people, Im new to this site & I just purchesed a 1996 zx1100 Ninja which has developed a problem. I purched this bike (as is), It was drove aprox 3 1/2hours to my home (on highway) , bike worked great. I stoped twice , on the trip, each time bike was shut off, and re started with no problems. worked great! After geting home, the bike was left for overnight , the next morning when i tried to start the bike is when the trouble started. I turned on the choke, the bike fired up right away. I shut off the choke while waiting for the engine to warm up, maybe 15-25 sec. or so . I pulled out of my drive way bike ran fine. I pulled up to the first stop sign and the bike started sputtering,no power, I had to keep reving the engine to keep it from shuting off. (all the time it sounded like dead on a plug?) When I got the bike up to 30-40km the sputtering stoped & the bike had normal power. However, when I came to the next stop sign, again the bike sputtered and this time shut off. When this happens there is a strong smell of gas! However I do not see any gas running out of the bike/carbs. Another weird thing, when this happens if i shut off the fuel petcock to (off) after a few sec. the bike runs perfect (untill the line runs out of fuel) but turn the fuel back on to (on) or (res) and the bike starts sputtering again?? Like I said each time this happens I smell strong gas but I dont see any apilling out! Guys I sure would like some help on this one if any body has seen of this or knows whats going on, Thanks, Im dying to get back riding!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I just finished pulling the carbs cleaned all the gunk out of them (thay were full of s.^*t. I contacted the prev owner, he said the bike was not used in almost three years! He only rode it once or twice this year(of course he said he had no problems). When i drained the tank you would not believe what came out (I should have taken photos!) The tank must have been almost empty for storage, because it is rusted farrly bad inside. I bet there was more silt in the bottom if this tank that i have ever seen!! Anybody have some suggestions how i can realy clean the tank good. I removed the sending unit(full of sludge & rust & gunk), but its no use to get inside. I flushed the fuel tank twice with with gas, having each time to disregard the fuel because it was so dirty. I just can not beleave how much dirt was/is in there!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok guys, here it is? I cleaned the tank & carbs all now look clean. The bike is now firing up, idles ,rough, but idles. I changed the oil and It smell like gas? I filled the oil to the proper level about half way up the glass. When I start the engine, after a while the oil goes way up pass the glass , pass full? I drained a little off and again It smells like gas! What the hell is going on!!!!!!!! Is My engine shot, still a problem with the carbs, like i said thay look clean Anybody got any ideas befor im forced to bring this thing to the dealer?? I checked all the jets thay have all been cleaned!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts