Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

Poor acceleration.

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  pjallal 
#1 · (Edited)
2000 zx12.

Over the weekend, I lifted the tank to get a look at the air filters they looked a little dirty. None of the dealers around had replacement ones, so I decided to rinse them.

Due to weather and work, I was only able to get back on the bike today. It starts up fine, but the first few miles in every gear, it's sputtering and has little power. When I get in the upper rpm range for the gear it kicks in with power.
But as I decel the sputtering returns.

Could I have ruined the filters OR is there a vacuum that 'normally' disconnects when you lift the tank?

Would like to have a general idea where to start when I tear back into it.

A little more info... I do have the muzzy pipe and running without PC. It had a slight hesitation when first taking off, but not this bad. Usually that was just in 1st gear, now it's happening in at least 1,2, 3 gears...

#3 ·
I used the sprayer from kitchen sink in the opposite direction of air flow. I was careful not too use too much pressure. I just can't believe that a clean(er) air filter would make that much of a difference on the flat spot and make it noticeable in the first 3 gears.

#4 ·
Did you dry and re-oil them? There is an inlet air temperature sensor on the right side inspection panel, but its pretty hard to unplug on purpose, let alone by accident. Double-check your vent and fuel lines to be sure they aren't being pinched by the tank. Pretty sure it's something simple. Good luck with it...

#5 · (Edited)
I let them dry naturally for 2 days. They seem like stock filters so I didn't oil them.

Although there is a metal screen on the clean side, but look nothing like the K&N I have on my 11... Not sure if its stock or not. Only had this bike 3 weeks.

Do the stock filters get oil too? I have K&N oil for the filter on my 11 I can use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.