Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea guys what is a good site that tells you how to go about doin this, I have Chrome rims ,sprocket etc. think my bike would look alot better with the frame being shiny like rest :) what do u all think?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I polished my frame, swing arm and rims, and its alot of work to keep shiny! Any bit of water leaves tons of water spots, go chrome, or leave it is my suggestion. I now have chrome rims, thank god!

·
Registered
66 Posts
polished frame was my winter project. aircraft paint remover worked some, but i got the best results using a powered sander & 60 grit sandpaper. then worked my way up to a final wet sanding with 2000 grit. then buy a couple of jars of Mothers aluminum polish. and have at it. trouble is keeping it clean. about every 2 weeks i have to give it a quick polish job.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you want to get it done perfect, the best way is to take the bike completly apart and send the frame to me :evil !!! That's what I do for a living for the last 15 years. If you take a look at the pics of my 11, the only chrome bits on it are the steel bits, EVERYTHING else is polished. The guys that are telling you that you have to polish the stuff every couple of weeks or once a month, well thats because the job wasn't done correctly from the start. I don't have to polish miine more than twice a YEAR!! (unless I get caught in the rain, even then if you wipe it down right away it will not be water-spotted).

See ya
Chris

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys thanks for suggestions... I still wanna go with the polishing I dont mind keeping it shiny I spend alot of time cleaning on my bike once a week anyways :) so dont mind every now and then doin some on frame.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have a polished frame and love it. Personally I think polished looks better than chrome. Also I have a '75 Kaw Z1 that got the fork legs chromed some time in the '80s. Now over 20 years later that chrome is trash. Its all crackly looking a flaky and just plain horrible. I don't know how worried about longevity you are or how far into the future you look, but I think the polished look will stand the test of time much better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think I used the uponone guide step by step and mine came out pretty clean! took about 4 months to do the frame, swingarm, forks, footpeg brackets, clutch cover and bar ends.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 97 ZX11 That I have had since new and I polished the frame many many years ago and it has held up much better then chrome, it is alot of work, but it is worth the look

1 - 11 of 11 Posts