Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,so i am back!!!

Bike was running just fine until i met up with some friends and we were riding and all of a sudden it was doing the same thing. Loss of power and not idling. Soi took it home and now i haveit torn apart again. i have looked into more and cannot figure out what the hell is wrong with it.

I did notice that the left cylinder is bearly pulling air?? When i put my hand over the hole it revs up?? But the others i put my hand over and it pulls my hand tight to the hole and stalls. Any ideas??

Fuel pump is pumping, getting spark, and plugs look fine. I am speechless and dumbfounded.

Still can not find anyone to work on it.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Sounds like christikitty would be able to help. Sounds like to me your carb is gunked up. Maybe a possible sync is needed as well. Idk if low compression is a culprit. Another idea is the diaphragm of the carb or the top end of the carb needs to be serviced. Like a faulty spring.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry i will add some more...

just pulled the carbs three different times cleaned and serviced them all. What weird is when i put it all back together it was running great, but now this. I also noticed wheni rev it the rpms dont come back down but stay at 4k. I sealed the boots and i spray carb cleaner around the boots but it doesnt surge. So again, i am stumped.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so quick question....and sorry for being such a newbie at this.

so been researching this. When i did the Kleen air mod and removed all the hoses and ran the hose from the top of the carbs into the air box can this cause any of my problems?? I can not get the air box to seal right on the bike, soi just aligned the airbox and put the tank back on with the tube inthe side hole. I also noticed that the air box has a crack. Can the air box cause these problems?? ialso noticed there were some open holes do i need to fill this. The bike seemed to run fine without it??

·
Premium Member
6,538 Posts
so quick question....and sorry for being such a newbie at this.

so been researching this. When i did the Kleen air mod and removed all the hoses and ran the hose from the top of the carbs into the air box can this cause any of my problems?? I can not get the air box to seal right on the bike, soi just aligned the airbox and put the tank back on with the tube inthe side hole. I also noticed that the air box has a crack. Can the air box cause these problems?? ialso noticed there were some open holes do i need to fill this. The bike seemed to run fine without it??
Do us all a favor and post a picture of what you've got so we can help. That way we will all be on the same page. In my mind I know what you're talking about but things could be crossed in the interpretation.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If I understand you right with the airbox off and placing your hands on the carb mouths the left cylinder does not pull as hard and revs while the other three cause the bike to stall. The soft pull can be caused by one of two things, a vacuum leak or low compression on that cylinder. Low compression could be caused by bad rings, excessive cylinder wear, a bad head gasket, bad valves/valvetrain, or by the timing being off. With bad compression I would think it shouldn't rev when you restrict the airflow though wihch leaves a vacuum leak.

I would think it would have to be a major leak and easy to find if you are able to tell a difference in the amount of pull but any leak would have to be below the mouth of the carb so nothing in the airbox should be causing it.

Check your compression first just to rule that out and then start looking for a leak. Carb cleaner is our friend. Don't just concentrate on the boot but check every joint, seam, and tube attached to the carb. Try to move the carbs around while you are checking. Look at the hat and body for cracks too. Any place that unmetered air could get in.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Yesterday I put some foam weatherstripping around the seal on the airbox (not on the carb side) because the stock seal was shot.

Improved things greatly. You have to carefully tighten the bolts that hold the airbox down and make sure you dont break anything, but it helped me out.

And then just seal up that crack with some epoxy or something.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i got home and did some more checking, and it all makes sense now. I was checking all the possibles for a vaccum leak. So i could not find a leak anywhere and after pulling the carb back away from the motor i took the float bowl off and found nothing in there. So after pulling the float needle and turning the fuel pump on still nothing. Shot some carb cleaner up the float seat and then tried the pump and it started to pump fuel. Put it all back together and fired it up and it is now running right. So i guess the part of me not being able to take the float seats out is causing me problems. Any ideas onhow to pull them out if they are stuck so i can clean it all out?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
You have an 89 ZX7 right? Take the floats out, then remove the screw that holds the float needle seat. Next take a pair of needle nose pliers and gently pull while turning and it should come out.If you booger up the outside of the seat a little it's fine cause there should be an O-ring in there to seal it. The other thing you can do is take all the floats out. Then blow compressed air into the fuel inlet. That should clear all of them out.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Any ideas onhow to pull them out if they are stuck so i can clean it all out?
No idea. Mine are stuck fast, and I dont think I can get them out without wrecking them. As they were not sticking, I cleaned the needles and left well enough alone.

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
No idea. Mine are stuck fast, and I dont think I can get them out without wrecking them. As they were not sticking, I cleaned the needles and left well enough alone.

They will come out.

Take the floats out, then remove the screw that holds the float needle seat. Next take a pair of needle nose pliers and gently pull while turning and it should come out.

+1

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Yeah, gently pull. Like this is my first rodeo with carbs.

I assure you, mine arent coming out without damage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 93 and i have tried the needle nose trick and nothing. It makes total sense that whatever is in the inlet tube is clogging the float seat and causing it to run lean. Still digging, thanks everyone for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
Yeah, gently pull. Like this is my first rodeo with carbs.

I assure you, mine arent coming out without damage.
I have a 93 and i have tried the needle nose trick and nothing. It makes total sense that whatever is in the inlet tube is clogging the float seat and causing it to run lean. Still digging, thanks everyone for the info.
I'm not gonna lie, they're tough to get out the first time fellas.

Soak the inlet with PB Blaster or equivalent and let it do the work for you. It helps to tap on the carb body near the inlet with a screwdriver handle or something similar, helps the solvent to work into crevice between the parts.

Thought the float seats on my '94 would never come out, they were that gunked up... But they did.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I'm not worried about it though, mine are just fine lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok got home today and took my carbs back off and took apart. Took some WD40 and soaked the float seats and with some wiggling got them out. After pulling them out i found ALOT of crap stuck in there. Cleaned out really good and put the bike together and rode it for about 1/2 hour and still running good. So i will let everyone know tomorrow after i ride it to work and home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts