Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 zx6r carbbed not FI, bike is not getting spark I put new plugs in today, cr9e ngk, battery, syn oil change+filter, bike turns over like a bandit but no spark, tried bump starting it a dozen times, it is getting fuel

pulled the spark plug out and put it in the boot grounded it on the battery and turned bike over no spark on the plugs

please help me here

I'm very mechanically inclined but have no idea what to chase for this, I usually work on light/medium duty trucks, these bikes are very simple I feel I do not know what I am looking for

was 55 degrees today.... no worse feeling than watching the bikes roll down the main road while I am sitting in my garage trying to get mine to work

any input will be greatly appreciated, thanks

and by the way I am a new member

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, no one responded... cool

hopefully bumping this someone will see and be able to help me

so, I checked the stator today by pulling the pigtail and putting an ohms meter on those female spade connectors all checked out zero, so no resistance which means the stator is okay?

after checking the things I have this leads me to believe my cdi is broken, very pricey piece like $400+

last september the bike just cut out at the gas station and would not start since, I had to roll it home

please review this thread and give me any pointers before I take the plunge and spend the $450 on the new cdi/igniter box money is tight and I would be really sad if I put the new box on and the bike still had no spark

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Welcome to the ZXF! Have you checked to make sure the plug wires are not broken inside? Use a multi meter and check them. If that is not it then I would also make sure all the grounds are good on the bike, fuses and then I would have the ignition box inspected. Ask around on here "WTB" in classifieds for the ignition box. Some one has one I am sure. Please keep us updated...............

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the ZXF! Have you checked to make sure the plug wires are not broken inside? Use a multi meter and check them. If that is not it then I would also make sure all the grounds are good on the bike, fuses and then I would have the ignition box inspected. Ask around on here "WTB" in classifieds for the ignition box. Some one has one I am sure. Please keep us updated...............
thank you for the welcoming and for the response

i checked all the grounds, and every single fuse on this motorcycle

I do not have spark plug wires, I have the large plastic piece that goes into the spark plug bore to the cylinder head, its about 5-6 inches long and has the internal coil, on the top of the plug it is connected to a pigtail with 2 wires, and this is for each spark plug

·
Registered
81 Posts
You will need a manual to check the electrical parts of the bike . First check the iginition pick will is located on the right hand side of the bike . Its held on by 4 small bolts . If you dont have a manual i have a genuine factory one so can give you the values . Let me know . Cant imagine it the cdi as these are very reliable ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will need a manual to check the electrical parts of the bike . First check the iginition pick will is located on the right hand side of the bike . Its held on by 4 small bolts . If you dont have a manual i have a genuine factory one so can give you the values . Let me know . Cant imagine it the cdi as these are very reliable ?
Im not sure on the reliability of the models cdi unit, this is my first time working with an on road motorcycle I sure hope mine is fine, especially since the cost to buy a new one is terrible.

Please tell me more on this ignition pickup coil? I do not have a manual I did go to get one but they only had one for the zx6 and not zx6r and alot of the bikes components were different.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, so I tested the pickup coil, factory service manual calls for between 452 and 462 ohms when testing the coil, tested mine and got 414 ohms

Service manual says if its less to replace it, but its only 50 ohms less than service spec could this really be my issue for not getting spark?

Costs 93 dollars at my local trusted dealer

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
u can get a set of 4 coils on ebay for like 50$ but u gotta chance the condition and wait for ship.... not sure where else ud get a new one. is it that u have no spark to all cylinders or just one? if its just one i would say bad coil. if not its gotta be either a loose ground or bad cdi. if u have a power probe id say supply 12v to the supply input wire to the cdi and see if it makes any difference, if it does then u have a bad power supply to the cdi. then locate ur ground wires from the cdi to body and coils to body and check ur voltage drops, should have 0v when testing from both sides of ground wires. if harness is ok u will need a cdi which id recommend like stated go to the buy sell trade section and make a WTB thread, otherwise try ebay

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
u can get a set of 4 coils on ebay for like 50$ but u gotta chance the condition and wait for ship.... not sure where else ud get a new one. is it that u have no spark to all cylinders or just one? if its just one i would say bad coil. if not its gotta be either a loose ground or bad cdi. if u have a power probe id say supply 12v to the supply input wire to the cdi and see if it makes any difference, if it does then u have a bad power supply to the cdi. then locate ur ground wires from the cdi to body and coils to body and check ur voltage drops, should have 0v when testing from both sides of ground wires. if harness is ok u will need a cdi which id recommend like stated go to the buy sell trade section and make a WTB thread, otherwise try ebay
okay no spark to ANY cylinder, what I tested was the pickup coil, its on the right hand side of the bike to the right of the clutch basket cover and covered by the faring, it sends a signal for the plugs to spark, like I said earlier I believe. There is no way all four ignition coils are bad since the bike doesnt get spark on any cylinder, tested the stator and it is fine, grounds, sensors and theyre fine, tested the pickup coil and the factory spec ohms range is off, but only by 50 ohms which I'm wondering if thats enough for it to not work.

no way am I going to jump and buy a cdi when it could be something else first, cant afford $450 at the dealer and dont want to take a chance on ebay or other websites you know?

I'll try this power probe idea, I'll just use a battery charger and a jumper wire.

what do you mean when you talk about testing the voltage drops? please explain

thanks for the response!!!! ride safely!

oh yeah and it's going to be around 60 degrees here by the end of next week I need to get this beast running soon! l

·
Registered
81 Posts
I found my genuine workshop manual .The pick up coil tell the cdi that the engine is turning over and to fire the ignition system Its not the plug coils and i doubt if its the pick up coil . 50 ohms is not that much at least its not open circuit .In the manual you cant check the ic ignitor (cdi) but you can check to see if its getting any power . I could post a picture of the instructions if you need it . Another point to look at is the side stand switch . Done alot of searching on the net and these are a problem on all kawasakis

·
Registered
155 Posts
Was going to suggest side stand switch...

Another thing that might be worth while check is the connection between the coil loom and the main loom, and the earth (a small ring tag by the main loom connector block) for damage or corrosion.

Check the earth as it's common and if the circuit is open there, you'll get zippo...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow my zx6r is doing the same thing as his i just ordered a new cdi box hopfullly thats it did he ever figure out what was wrong withhis bike someone help thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow my zx6r is doing the same thing as his i just ordered a new cdi box hopfullly thats it did he ever figure out what was wrong withhis bike someone help thanks
ok new cdi box still no spark new impulse coil no spark wtf bike is going to shop on thursday maybe they can tell me please help biker brothers iam stuck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any Resolve on your guys issues with your bikes?

Hey guys im new here i found you by google searching the same problem on my 2002 i have learned when in tested my pickup i am over my oms, it is reading out @ 485 I am 20 more than what it should be on the high end and i am not getting any spark at all on any of the coils.. I would love to find out what happend and what you guys did to resolve your problems..

·
Registered
5 Posts
iam taking mine to the shop this week i will keep you all informed on what it is i have gave up on doing it my self rumor is its a bad ground some where and to test all the grounds i will know by friday todays is monday

·
Registered
155 Posts
And i doubt if its the pick up coil.
Might very well be the pickup.

When you tested the pickup, what did you do?
I heard of a broken cable in the pickup loom in a zx1100 causing this issue on zzr-international.co.uk.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bringing it back from the grave!!!!

I have spark on 1 and 2 but nothing on 3 and 4.....?

Cleaned carbs...
Replaced plugs...
switched coil packs around...

Now Im at a loss, KAWI brothers help me out its summer time for gods sake!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts