Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on the forum, so bare with me. :eek:hno
I started riding streetbikes back in '02, starting off on a ex250 which I still have today. Not a bad bike to start off on at all. Even at my size(6'0 @ 250) I was still able to have some fun on it, and learn a lot about riding. Now I was going to step up to the ZX-6 because the 250 just isn't enough for me anymore. After talking with my dad(he's a harley guy) about it, he talked me into getting a liter bike since I would probably end up unhappy with the 6r after a while with my size and all. (I rode my uncle's older cbr 1000 and felt comfortable)
This past weekend we hit up a show in Ny that had every vendor there. Sitting on all of the liter bikes, I instantly fell in love with the ZX10. And that blue color is sexy...

So I did some pricing(insurance,etc.) and found I would never be able to afford this bike with the current bills I have now.. Auto loan, etc. We're talking around 3k a year with full coverage. But I WANT IT NOW lol.
So, I have decided to take out a home equity loan to take care of my car loan and be able to buy the bike outright without financing. Which in essence will DRASTICALLY lower the insurance rates.(no need for full coverage)

All in all, I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in this type of situation. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.

G

·
When I took my "new to motorcycles" riding course in Calgary one of the things that the lady said was that it was much more practical to ride w/o full insurance. Given that brand new bikes, even fully loaded cost anywhere from 5,000 to 15,000 dollars, and insurance can be between 2000 to 5000 she figured that if you ride safe for 5 years with that kind of insurance you could have just bought another one. (w/ basic my first year of riding I paid 306 dollars for the full year) Also she said that (in Alberta Canada at least - private insurance) when you have an accident the hike they put on your insurance is SO insane that it's not worth it.

This made sense to me so I ride w/ just enough insurance that if I break something it'll pay for it. :) But then again I ride an 86' not an 06'. Other people may not agree.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Somehow I don't think many people will talk you out of buying the 10R. The heart takes over from common sense (and money matters) when it comes to any bike other than a basic commuter. All I can say is take care, have fun & enjoy, most everyone else that has one seems to :thumbup

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm with State Farm and only pay $660 a year for full coverage on my 07 ZX10R. Be careful if you get only liability as you won't be protected if your bike is stolen or if you're at fault in a collision. If you have good health insurance you can waive the under/uninsured motorists portion which would save you a lot of $$.

Also, here in Arizona you don't have to buy full coverage insurance when financing a motorcycle. Check with your dealership if you have to have full coverage insurance when financing.

Enjoy your new bike!

·
Registered
12 Posts
A zx6r (06, not the 07) and a 10r feel about the same sitting on them. I'd suggest getting a 6r, insurance will be cheaper too. Of course, you're going to get a 10r anyways. Have fun, I love my 10r!

·
Registered
1 Posts
That Good Your Joining The Ninja Family, But If You Are Goin To Get A Zx10 Try To Get The 04 Or An 05 Zx10, Because When The New Zx10 Came Out, It Came Out With Bad Reviews, Stating It Was To Domesticated, And How They Made It More For A Beginner Rider. The 05 Zx10 Has More Bite To It And It Seems Like It Has More Power, But Don't Take It From Me, Research It..

·
Registered
37 Posts
ZXerJay,
First off, if you haven't any experience (long term) other than your Ninja 250, then I would suggest the ZX6. I also used to have the 250 Ninja back in '88 and thought "holy moly" when I jumped on a ZX10 in 1990. Much different. If you don't have the experience, I hope that you would keep mindful of the difference in power. You don't mention how much you rode the CBR, so this may have impact on your liter-riding experience.
Secondly, the 06-07 ZX10Rs are bigger beasts than the one in '90! Even more reason to think about your choice.
Thirdly; Insurance. Please keep in mind that if you only have liability and you end up tearing it up, you are just out the money. Also, double check with your insurance company before you actually go riding to make sure that you are covered. My recent experience: Buddy got a GSXR1K (3 weeks old), took out my back tire, totaled my bike, and then found that his insurance company didn't follow through with the application paperwork. He now has to pay my insurance company back as well as pay to fix his bike!

So, think everything through. Wait several weeks before you buy your bike. Make sure that it is not an impulse buy. You might even look at used liter bikes before you go new. Just my .02!

Be safe and have fun with any decision that you make.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts