Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Planning for 1st track day - UPDATED

Spoke to some locals at Island Dragway and they recommended the following before racing the 14r.

http://www.brocksperformance.com/

1. Brocks Performance clutch mod - MOST IMPORTANT due to the weak slipper clutch feature on hard launches - $229.95
2. Shell 87/89 octane gas not premium (which I thought was odd)
3. Brocks lowering straps - front - $189.95 & Brocks lowering links - rear - $184.95
4. Guhl flash - $375
5. Shinko hookup - $163 varies
6. swingarm extension - $299.95/chain $170-200 varies and rear sprocket $74.95

Somewhere in there is a shit load of practice to get the launch down

Here's a video of my buddy catching a little air on launch with his '06 GSXR1k (top racer).

http://vid1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah141/jmeyer400/1B857BDE-C8B9-4320-A9B8-DFC2BE50F937_zpshz9zdbkw.mp4

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
What's the cost to prep the 14 with what you listed? Man your buddy almost 12 O'clocked that launch. :surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Added the costs above.

So really, just to safely run the bike, the clutch mod is mandatory.

Everything else is as you see fit.

But from after my chat with the dude, lowering is pretty important to keep the front end down as much as possible.

Cool thing is most of this stuff is easy bolt on stuff :)

Yeah, my boy almost flipped her.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Would like to see what the numbers look like once you've ran that 14 but as you guys know, even stock, the 14R is a BEAST ! Good luck on your 1st run.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Will.

Yeah, there are plenty of videos of the bike doing 9's. It's all rider and I won't even assume what I would do down the 1320.

Just going to try and stay safe.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Installed the Schnitz Racing tether kill switch. Pretty easy install once you can route the wire behind the left side plastics. Maybe 45 min taking my time.

Also installed the Brock's clutch mod which was a little pain especially with the stronger springs. You gotta make sure you thread the clutch spring bolts dead center or you can easily strip them. Came pretty close. Also you definitely need a 27mm socket and a heavy duty impact gun. Don't forget to order a new clutch cover gasket and some sealant like the service manual states. Also gotta drain the oil and new filter. Don't forget the drain plug crush washer.

Clutch engages faster and harder. Didn't notice any change in the clutch lever which was good. Got both the mod and gasket from Schnitz as well as the kill switch. Fast shipping :)

I know I need the straps and links but I want too see how I do at the track first. If I don't shit my pants, then more mods to come.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got my front lowering straps in and will install them tomorrow. No lowering links yet and want to see how the launches go first.

Hoping for some track time this weekend. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got to the track for the 1st time with the 14r!!!

I hit up Island Dragway on Friday the 28th and had a blast. Nervous as shit but had a ton of fun with my 3 passes.

I had one objective this evening...get down the track in one piece then back for another pass.

Some things I've learned...
- You do not need high RPMs to launch this bike. Heard it a ton on the web. 3-4k will do just fine
- I kept TC1 on since I wanted to keep the front wheel down but bogged 2 out of the 3 passes. Next time turn off TC and use the throttle hand to control the front wheel
- It takes a good amount of finesse between clutch and throttle hand. Gotta find that sweet spot and practice, practice, practice
- Improve 60' times (repeat)
- Bike has a crazy amount of power to catch just about anything stock or even modded for that matter
- Love the burnouts!
- Need a quick shifter...you gotta be money on those shift points
- LOSE MORE WEIGHT! (not the bike, me)
- Now I'm hooked on dragging bikes

Mock as you wish :)

1st run solo: [email protected]
2nd pass vs 12r: [email protected]
3rd pass vs Harley: [email protected]

Here are the slips...

Here are some vids...crappy iPhone video at night. sorry.

Burnout

1st pass looks like I'm in slow motion. I was like, let's go man!

2nd pass had a decent launch against the 12r. Missing the 3/4 shift is never good against someone running 10's

3rd pass against Harley (think it was a Harley that red lit)

Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts