Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'83 Laverda Jota, the 180 degree crank job, probably my favourite bike. The exhaust note was gorgeous & loud :grin

First Kawasaki '84 Z1100R :cool

Latest Kwak '95 GPZ1100S - big, smooth & comfy :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Very nice looking bikes! They sure seem to be spread out across the spectrum.

When I got my first Ninja, it seemed to be identical to the GPZ line. Was the GPZ as or more popular than the Ninja in Europe?

And does anyone know what was Kawi's reasoning with the GPZ lineup when they had the Ninja badge, which I assume was successful?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I find it a bit confusing why they did not make more of the Ninja name in Europe. From what I've seen the '80's GPZ's with the R suffix & the GPX were identical to the North American Ninja's apart from a few details & badging.

During the '90's they started to use Ninja on the ZX-7R & ZX-9R from what I can make out but only used it on those & the ZX-6R, then more lately on the 12R & 10R.

Different strategy for each market I suppose. If you look at the Japanese Kawasaki site it's far less focussed on high performance bikes.
Kawasaki Japan

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
BB
Kermit is still about but stashed away probably until we move house.
See if there are any other pix
I've got a Roadrunner next to my desk if any use - neep! neep!

ZX
Had a bit more disposable income back then, which helped.
Paying a big mortgage since the Z1100R makes us a bit careful :rolleyes

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Green Machine said:
Very nice.
Was that Z1100R an ELR? and do you still have it?
Yeah it was an ELR & no I don't have it now but wish I had kept it. It was my first Kawasaki & my wife (girlfriend at the time) loved it to bits, in fact she talked me into getting a Kawasaki, as the Jota was not much good two up.

In hindsight I wish I had kept a few other bikes that I'd owned :rolleyes
250 Enfield Continental, Norton Dominator 99, GS1000S (Cooley rep) & Jota......

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The GS was loads of fun!!!! The centre stand limited cornering quite a bit, so had to do serious hanging off to help it around corners. After I've moved will do a search to see if I have any pix. Did have a showroom poster from our local dealer, it may even be stashed away somewhere.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I seem to remember that it was a blue & white one at speed with a small rider in black leathers. Very cool.... but it was (OMG showing my age here) 27 years ago & I don't remember throwing it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts