Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first off I will say I did search on here and came up with nothing...now here is my problem:

Picked up some flush mount front LED turn signals for my ZX7 and removed my old big ugly stock turn signals, wired the LED signals and nothing is working right...everything worked fine before the change.

These are a two wire setup, pwr and gnd, wired directly to existing wiring that was used on original working turn signals. When I hit the turn signal switch the turn signal indicator lights solid and stays on, as does the turn signal itself...on both sides, not at the same time but only on the side that the switch is moved to. If I push the switch left (to a left turn) the left front and rear signals light solid, right side is still off, and indicator light comes on solid. When I push the switch to the right (to a right turn) left side goes off, right front and rear ligts come one solid as well as indicator light staying solid.

Now, I know that LED lights conusme much less power than standard filiment bulbs...question is this: I am not an electrical guy...I can make things work if I have the right parts but thats where I run into problems...what the hell do I need to make these work and where the fu** do the resistors or relays go and what size resistors do I need. I guess what I need is a "parts list" to fix the issue and I am pretty confident that I can make it from there...

Also, I will mention now that I also got a set of LED signals for the rear but have not even opened that package yet...but can see it is a 3 wire setup for those...is that correct?? Thought they were two wire as well...

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had it...

Ok, first off I will say I did search on here and came up with nothing...now here is my problem:

Picked up some flush mount front LED turn signals for my ZX7 and removed my old big ugly stock turn signals, wired the LED signals and nothing is working right...everything worked fine before the change.

These are a two wire setup, pwr and gnd, wired directly to existing wiring that was used on original working turn signals. When I hit the turn signal switch the turn signal indicator lights solid and stays on, as does the turn signal itself...on both sides, not at the same time but only on the side that the switch is moved to. If I push the switch left (to a left turn) the left front and rear signals light solid, right side is still off, and indicator light comes on solid. When I push the switch to the right (to a right turn) left side goes off, right front and rear ligts come one solid as well as indicator light staying solid.

Now, I know that LED lights conusme much less power than standard filiment bulbs...question is this: I am not an electrical guy...I can make things work if I have the right parts but thats where I run into problems...what the hell do I need to make these work and where the fu** do the resistors or relays go and what size resistors do I need. I guess what I need is a "parts list" to fix the issue and I am pretty confident that I can make it from there...

Also, I will mention now that I also got a set of LED signals for the rear but have not even opened that package yet...but can see it is a 3 wire setup for those...is that correct?? Thought they were two wire as well...

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Do they blink if you connect the old lights back up or do they stay solid?
If they don't blink with the old lights, I would venture to say that the relay is shot. Sometimes just tapping the relay with the handle of a screw driver can get it working (but should be replaced).

A friend of mine just got a set for his 650R and the resistor was wired in-line just before the connector to the lights. still blinks a little faster than normal, but works fine.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If they don't blink with the old lights, I would venture to say that the relay is shot. Sometimes just tapping the relay with the handle of a screw driver can get it working (but should be replaced).

A friend of mine just got a set for his 650R and the resistor was wired in-line just before the connector to the lights. still blinks a little faster than normal, but works fine.

Don't you think it would be too coincidental that the relay would fry right then and there?

I had trouble putting my front turn signals too. I remember the wiring being very different then and I was expecting, and these were the standard two wire lights. I think I had to criss cross connections from each side to make it work. I will look at my setup once I get out of work and let you know.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

Everything works perfect if I connect the old filiment lights back up...only have the problem with it when the LED turn signals are connected...I am looking into the resistor idea, I do not have any resistors or relays in it at this time and will be going to town to see if I can find them but not sure what I need to get. What I have found is a 10 ohm/25w seems to be what others are using but at $18.00 each locally think I will buy ONE and see if it works on one side and go from there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
10 ohm 20v resistor should be wired across the led indicator increasing the seen load at the relay, one end on the resistor to the + ive wire and other end to the - ive of the indicator, keep the wiring as you had it and add the resistor into the LED circuit. 7.6 ohm would also work but 10 is easy to find.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
You Need either the 552 thermal or 262 electronic flasher. The OEM Kawasaki unit is garbage.

Josh

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
10 ohm 20v resistor should be wired across the led indicator increasing the seen load at the relay, one end on the resistor to the + ive wire and other end to the - ive of the indicator, keep the wiring as you had it and add the relay into the LED circuit. 7.6 ohm would also work but 10 is easy to find.
Thanks man! We were typing messages on here at the same time so I did not see this until a second ago...anyway I did find a 10 ohm/25w load resistor locally for about $18.00 and they have 12 in stock. think I will try ONE and if it works will make the trip back to town and get another. Is it the same for the rear? I have not tired them yet but am almost positive I will have the same issue as I am going from a filiment type bulb to the LED on the back as well.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Don't you think it would be too coincidental that the relay would fry right then and there?
Yes. But you never know. Worth a test.

Everything works perfect if I connect the old filiment lights back up...only have the problem with it when the LED turn signals are connected...I am looking into the resistor idea, I do not have any resistors or relays in it at this time and will be going to town to see if I can find them but not sure what I need to get. What I have found is a 10 ohm/25w seems to be what others are using but at $18.00 each locally think I will buy ONE and see if it works on one side and go from there.
I also seem to recall reading somewhere that because the LEDs draw so much less than traditional bulbs... the thermal relay "thinks" that there is a bulb out and doesn't flash.
Did you kit come with an HD relay?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You Need either the 552 thermal or 262 electronic flasher. The OEM Kawasaki unit is garbage.

Josh
Thanks Josh...figured you would be by soon! :crazyloco Whats your thoughts on using the Load Resistors? I found them locally and can get them today, probably have to find the flasher online and order it. As for the resistors, I am looking at a 10 Ohm/25w across the wires on the turn signals..

EDIT: Actually I may be able to get a the flasher locally as well...sorry for another silly question but will a standard automotive 262 flasher be what you are talking about?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes. But you never know. Worth a test.

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that because the LEDs draw so much less than traditional bulbs... the thermal relay "thinks" that there is a bulb out and doesn't flash.
Did you kit come with an HD relay?
Nope, kit came with lights only...:angry

·
Registered
27 Posts
unfortunately yes, each unit needs to be seen as a 'bulb' so each LED unit needs the additional resistance. An electronic relay is apparently the cure as it flashes at a set rate despite what load is across it, not cheap and certainly not available for older bike (I only have old bikes). If you want to get up and running, simply wire up the old unit and hid it somewhere, the LED unit will flash and as the relay will see the load of the bulb in addition to the LED's. It's a poor solution but it is a solution LOL

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
unfortunately yes, each unit needs to be seen as a 'bulb' so each LED unit needs the additional resistance. An electronic relay is apparently the cure as it flashes at a set rate despite what load is across it, not cheap and certainly not available for older bike (I only have old bikes). If you want to get up and running, simply wire up the old unit and hid it somewhere, the LED unit will flash and as the relay will see the load of the bulb in addition to the LED's. It's a poor solution but it is a solution LOL
:crazyloco Right on, thanks x.l.r.8...on my way to town. Will post back with results in a little bit. Going to pick up the 10 Ohm/25w resistor and give that a try...

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
You Shouldn't need the resistors if running half LED and half standard.

It's running all 4 corners with LEDs that seems to be the real issue.

I have regular bulbs in the rear and LED front signals with a 552 flasher.

Josh

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will be changing out the rear as well, I just have not got that far yet...when I connect the front LED and have the standard bulb in the rear thats when I have the no blink problem on it. I think I may be able to get the 262 flasher locally as well if this will fix it...or I can go the resistor way if that will work. I don't really care which way I have to go as long as I can get them working and it works right. Is the 262 flasher just a standard automotive flasher?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thought I may have posted this in the wrong place...so posted in "Mechanical & Technical" as well...lol...now there are two...

Sorry admin! FNG...:banghead

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I'm gonna ask you a really stupid question only b/c I didnt see that you said you tried it: did you reverse the wiring on the LED's?

Your situation happened to me when I hooked up one backwards by mistake. (LED's are polarity sensitive)
Your rear signals have a 3rd wire for the running red light and the brake light plus ground.

·
HEADBANGER
6,942 Posts
I had the same issue when I went to LED rear with the standard front signals.... wen to auto parts store and bought a $7 car relay. Plug and play.... problem solved. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts