Votes: 7 53.8%
  • V&H SS2-R~$490

Votes: 6 46.2%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pondering what pipe I should put on my 11. I mean... it's already wicked fast but I have some scrapes and dings on my cans so I'm looking to replace pipes as well as add some lower/mids to boot. WWYD? (what would you do?)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Adding low and midrange? After-market pipes are to promote high RPM power. If what you want is really better low & midrange, then better stick with OEM system.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Claude, I know you ride a ZX11 and know a great deal about them,but when I go into low speed turns it's such a drag cuz of the tall gearing, even in 1st.gear it feels like I am coasting. I do have a stumble @2500-35000. I'm looking to gain a power band on the lower/mid. I have put aftermarket pipes on a ton of bikes and gained low/mids why is the 11 any different?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Simply because after-market pipes usually promote high RPM power, not midrange. Did you had your previous bikes dynoed before and after exhaust swap? A lot of person associates louder noise with more power.
Adding a few teeth to your rear sprocket could do the trick for quite less money...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the past I noticed right away the power band at lower to mid range, I just put a pipe on my wifes GPz 900 and the same thing occured.I did order a chain and sprocket kit for it cuz the O.E.M one reached 15,000 mi. and is stressed and the sprockets are valley'd out. I can only find 17/45 530so kit though.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
GPZ900 is quite old technology. The pipes were possibly quite restrictive by then and it was maybe the only way they found to make a quiet system. Maybe after-market system waked it up a bit (with noise level as well...).

Well, instead of buying a chain kit, you can buy individual components. It could be a bit more expensive than a kit but it will meet your need better. MHO...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Claude, I bet you don't care for "Noise" at all. he he. I'm not some 20 year old kid looking to mod for mods sake, rather a 17 year veteran on the road. What would you do? A few teeth, jetting and stock pipes? I do like the fact it runs pretty quiet. While I can pick your skull, I also would like opinion on treds. I have coniforce on it(hate em'). What do you run on yours?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'm part of the old fart club; I've riding for about 32 years now...
I don't like noisy systems but that's personal. I like a few (2~3) more dB but "race" systems are way too much for my taste (and annoys a lot of bystanders). My actual ZX-11 system is OEM ZZ-R1200 headers with my own twin slip-on mufflers (I made them with SV1000 canisters which I removed the inners and installed modified Zyclone (from Yoshimura) baffles. Prior to this, I was running a pair of Jardine street RT-One Ti slip-ons (still have them) but they are a tiny bit too noisy.

Stock exhaust are nice because they are the best compromise between noise and power. But they are somewhat heavy and most think they are too quiet. But they require no jetting...

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Oh and you said you have a tumble; most ZX-11 have this between 3000~4000 RPM. Needle shimming and air screw adjustment usually cures this situation.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have a Muzzy race pipe on my 11. Its so loud. I love it. At the drag strip I'm usually the loudest bike there, equivalent or louder than guys with Brocks sidewinders. I didn't mod the pipe, but if you look down the exit of it, you can see all the way to the bend. And thats how it comes out of the box. When I ride it I know its pretty loud but you don't really get the full effect while sitting in the saddle. The other day I let my friend take it for a ride. When I heard it pull away I was like "holy shit! my bike is that loud???" Anyway, thats my 2 cents on the pipe. But Rikk you said your 11 has a stumbe between 2500 and 3500. Well mine is a little flat there too, but my question is; why are you lugging around at 2500? Even 3500? I rarely ride around at so low revs except maybe on the highway. Rev it up man, thats why I ride Jappers and not Harleys (well theres the money too).
T

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a Muzzy race pipe on my 11. Its so loud. I love it. At the drag strip I'm usually the loudest bike there, equivalent or louder than guys with Brocks sidewinders. I didn't mod the pipe, but if you look down the exit of it, you can see all the way to the bend. And thats how it comes out of the box. When I ride it I know its pretty loud but you don't really get the full effect while sitting in the saddle. The other day I let my friend take it for a ride. When I heard it pull away I was like "holy shit! my bike is that loud???" Anyway, thats my 2 cents on the pipe. But Rikk you said your 11 has a stumbe between 2500 and 3500. Well mine is a little flat there too, but my question is; why are you lugging around at 2500? Even 3500? I rarely ride around at so low revs except maybe on the highway. Rev it up man, thats why I ride Jappers and not Harleys (well theres the money too).
T
Tom, I live in a yuppy part of town(low speeds) 30-35mph so turns are real slow. slow going until I get out 1-2 miles.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
If your carbs are stock, you can shim the needles (0.020" to 0.040") and adjust air screws between 2½ and 3 turns. I would begin with the "smallest" option (shims of 0.020" and AS at 2½ or maybe 2¾ turns) and start from there. If you don't mind MPG at all, you can go directly to 0.040" and 3 turns. Every ZX-11 I read about got improvement with this "modification".

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the vance and hines on mine and its loud, I have to check the packing though, but it has a killer tone, and no one will miss me coming

·
Registered
85 Posts
All zx11's have this stumble around 1/8th throttle..just so happens to be around 2500rpm. Claude is right about turning fuel mixture screws open a tad and shim the needles once..this will help..but degreeing in the cams and adjusting the ignition by 2 degrees advanced is the real fix. As for aftermarket pipes?..yes..most are for higher rpm and hp gain..but some do all well..I tryed the kirker pipe...great on high rpm and horse gain...but lacking on bottom end....went to muzzy street pipe (4-1)..very good all around....no dyno testing done...just comparison between buddys stocker on the twisty roads..also went to gear changes to..17/48..then it became a hole different bike..very happy the way it is now

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
...turning fuel mixture screws open a tad and shim the needles once..this will help..but degreeing in the cams and adjusting the ignition by 2 degrees advanced is the real fix...
Hmm, not that sure. As you said, almost every ZX-11 have this stumble and everyone I read about at BBW got it solved with shimming and AS. About none of them got an advancer and degreed the cams but they got rid of the stumble anyway with the aforementionned shim/AS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts