Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys/Gals...

Still having a little problem at low speeds with hesitation. I'm pretty sure it's probably due to my pilot jets. I was shy in taking these out with my recent carb cleaning. The reason being I didn't know if they are screwed in flush or not. Can anyone clear this issue up for me? As far as the idle mixture screws; I've read where I should screw them in then back out 2 to 3 turns. Would this be correct? Also, the throttle cables that hook to the carbs. What's the easiest way to get those unhooked or should I do the carb work with them still hooked to the carbs? The last time was a pain the rear getting the cables off and hooking them back up. I ended up taking off the mounting bracket for the cables at the carbs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
have you tried using a gas stabilizer? I had the same issue, i popped in about a 1/2 ounce of stab-bil and the hesitation went away. carbs hate regular gas.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Problem resolved here...The pilot jet were clogged up pretty bad which was causing several different symptoms. As far as taking the carbs off; I took the whole bank off in turn just flipping them over with the throttle/choke cables still attached. It didn't put to much strain on the cables that I could see. I took the float bowel off then unscrewd the pilot jet. Once unscrewed, I just held the float bowel in place then shook the carb until the jet fell in the bowel. Two of the jets was so bad you could'nt see through it. I took carb cleaner and used a piece of wire brush to clean out the jet. I still have a low end stumble here and there but nothing to be concered about. The bike runs really well now. I think I'm going to venture in jetting the carbs and changing out the exhaust next year most likely. I think the bike has more power than I'll need anyway....Thanks to all that had any suggestions about my problems. The only problem that I have now is setting the clock. I can't figure out how to do it to save my life. I can hold down either button in hopes of the digit to flash but it doesn't. Any suggestion about setting this would help.

To add, if you try this make sure you have a towel doubled up under the carbs. This is to help protect from scratches as well as catching the gas from the float bowels.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
...The only problem that I have now is setting the clock. I can't figure out how to do it to save my life. I can hold down either button in hopes of the digit to flash but it doesn't. Any suggestion about setting this would help.
I have no clock so I can't tell. But this is the kind of infos you should find into the owner's manual (the small book that came with the bike).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Claude,
I work in an industry where I ask that question just about everyday. Would you like to see some of the comments that I get when asking that? This was a used bike in which that wasn't provided to me unfortunatley. I probably should've posted that little piece of information. I purchased a service manual but that has limited information in it as well...

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
OK, to adjust the clock, you just need to push on the rubber buttons. As you already guessed, "H" button is for the hours and "M" for the minutes. Those buttons are quite fragile and stop working relatively easily. If pushing on them does nothing, you could try to push harder on them with something hard, like your ignition key. If this don't work, the cure is usually to replace the buttons (but they come with the clock...). And take a deep breath before you check for the price...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Claude,
Thanks for the info bud. I take it that my clock is broken as this is what I've been doing. Now, maybe if someone can tell me how to stop time until my clock catches up, that would be cool...LOL...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually I just thought of something...Disconnect the battery tonight just before midnight...Then connect it back at 12am..I think the time defaults to that time if I'm correct.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Actually I just thought of something...Disconnect the battery tonight just before midnight...Then connect it back at 12am..I think the time defaults to that time if I'm correct.
+1. That's exactly what I was to suggest. Another option could be to move in a time zone that match your clock but it's not a very efficient move...:drunk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The clock actually defaults to 1am. I did a test trial just to make sure before getting up right before midnight. I guess it's a good thing I did. That's pretty odd, of all defaults never have I seen 1am....I bet the neighbors are going to think I'm making out with the bike in the morning....LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts