Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I'm new here so please take it easy on me. I just purchased a 2000 zx-11 which I'm very much in love with. I have a couple of problems that's making me have second thoughts. Ok, the bike has been sitting for 3 years that I know of. I'm sure that I probably need to clean the carbs as they are gummed up. What position should I run the petcock in? "On" of "Fuel"? Any suggestions would be nice. The bike is back firing like a champ. It will only run with the choke fully opened. The throttle(idle) adjust screw has little or no affect on the bike running. To add, the bike only has 4100 miles on it....

Thanks
Guys/Gals!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Clean the carbs and the gas tank too, maybe change the fuel filter as well. If it's been sitting their may be some debris in there. Good Luck!!!!!!
Post up some pix!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, that's what I figured. I probably should've done that before even posting. Any tips or tricks I can do while in the carbs? I would rather not Jet it out at this time just tweak what's there if need be.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just take the bank off but DO NOT seperate the carbs off the bank unless you have a sync stick handy. clean the pilots(smallest) and the mains(short and fat) and check your diaphrams(rubbers) for cracks,tears. also clean your needles(long and skinny), be sure NOT to mixmatch mains and needles,taper may vary from one to another. Put things exactly where they came from. You should not end up with "extra parts".

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well guys, not so good at this point. I just barely made it from the shop with the bike. Cleaned up carbs, cleaned tank, cleaned petcock, none of which was very dirty or gummy. One I got everything back together I took it for a spin. It ran just as bad as it did before cleaning everything. It still back fires pretty bad. I think it's only running on 2 cylinders at this point. Plugs where changed as well a couple nights ago. Placed wires in from left to right at 1,2,4,3.....Any other suggestions at this point? guess I need to make sure all cylinders are firing now. Any other typical problems that these bikes have that's pretty common to my problem?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To add, when I had the carbs off. In the bottom there was a long slinder tube that appeared to be pressed in...Any idea what this is and does it pull out? Also, the float needle seat appears to be held in by a screw. Once the screw was removed I couldn't get the seat out. Also, on the carbs facing the air box with the bellows there was some brass nipples . I couldn't get cleaner nor compressed air to go through these...Any help would be appreciated with these questions.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey Guys/Gals,

I just noticed in another post if the petcock leaks while in the "ON" position to rebuild it. I also noticed in my service manual it says pretty much the samething. I just replaced the 2 seals in mine but it pours out gas in the "ON" position. The only time it will stop is in the "OFF" position. It also leaks gas when in the "RES" mode as well. This is probably why I smell so much gas on start ups? My gas mileage is'nt all that geat either at 27 miles to the gallon. Any suggestions? The seals are new that I installed. Didn't pinch on the install as I checked that. This is a 2000 ZX-11.....Any suggestions would appreciated.....Also, the bike will bike will back fire at idle while reving on the gas...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Claude is THE expert.

Sounds like your fuel system ain't right yet. Petcock should never leak, unless you disconnect the hose with it in the ON or RES positions. If it's leaking, it ain't fixed. Just purchase a new one perhaps?

Make sure the inside of the tank is completely free of rust. Otherwise a very fine, brown powder will clog your jets (that's the rust particles), as they pass right through most fuel filters.

Take your time and do it right! Once you get her runnin' nicely you'll be glad, these ZX11s are really great, do-it-all bikes!

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
On D models, the petcock is actuated by engine vacuum. Fuel should not come out of the fuel line even in ON or RES if the engine isn't running. Still something wrong with the petcock. (not sure if 2000 is a D) I don't think you can screw up the spark plug wires due to the length. One of the only ways I have made a backfire is turning the run switch on and of while running, (darn highbeam switch isn't on that side!) so I would suspect ignition for the backfiring.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think this system is a little different. No vac lines leading to the petcock what so ever. No clue why the petcock will pour gas out of it when the line leading to the carbs is disconnected. I guess it's designed to work this way. The petcock has 3 lines on it. One leading to the carb bank..The other 2 receiving gas from the tank...The bike wins...I'll have to settle with 25 miles to the gallon with a back fire here and there!

·
Registered
208 Posts
No, the bike loses until it's fixed correctly. When it's totally fixed, then it wins and of course you win too. I would go through it again with a really good service manual with good, exploded diagrams. I would totally take my time and make sure I'm doing everything just right. Or, pay a good shop to do it.

However you solve it, once you get her all runnin' right, ain't nothin' like the ZX11. It's just a fantastic, does everything well superbike. Then just make sure you maintain it properly, and she'll treat you right in return.

Mine is only 1 year newer than yours, and I've put over 78k on her, and she runs better than new! Granted I baby her with the best oil (Motul 300-V), Meguiars best detailing products, and follow the owners manual for the regular maintenance, like valve clearance inspection and adjustment, and pretty much what ever else the owners manual calls for!

I say don't surrender to the problem, just solve it by doing whatever it takes. If you let the problem fester, it may just cause another problem-then there'll be 2 problems:banghead . Problems are like that, you know this! Maybe Claude or somebody else will see this post and know exactly what to do? But definitely get it solved. Your bike will be much happier. And now I'm sure we'd like to know exactly what is was, and how you fixed it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys/gals....The petcock on my model is supposed to dump fuel when the line is pulled off it. The only way to stop it is turn it to the off position.It's not vac operated as it has a electric fuel pump on it. Still not sure of why I only get 29 miles to the gallon with no modes to the carbs. The air cleaner is good but I'll persue getting a K & N filter to see if that helps out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts