Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My zrx1100 is having a problem. It is running pretty roughly anywhere from idle to about mid-throttle. After that, it is a rocket like normal. :headscratch

I have just pulled it from storage. I drained the tank, refilled it with fuel system cleaner (redline si1) and premium fuel. Then I ran it for awhile. Not much change yet, but I am hoping...

I put sta-bil in every fall when I store it. Either once or twice a month through the winter season, I run the bike to normal operating temp just to keep the fuel flowing through the carb. I have done this for 3 years now, and it has been fine. No problems each spring, until this one.

One difference this winter, one time when I was running the bike, I left it for awhile and returned to find that the coolant temp light was on (no temp guage on this bike) and the cooling fan had never kicked on:scared . I freaked out.:banghead

I found the fan fuse was blown and changed it.

Any thoughts about the rough performance? I am hoping that it is just dirty fuel components, but I am worried that the overheating might have done some more serious damage...

Thanks for any ideas!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but a little more?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Fuel cleaner takes a while to work from my experience, may be a case of taking it for a few runs until it takes full effect. If not the first thing to do is drain the carbs to see if there is crud in the float bowls & give them a flush through but ultimately I think you will need to strip & clean the carbs coz if the pilot jets are blocked you will need to get at them to clean them properly.

It is a worry when the bike appears to overheat but if no coolant was dumped that is a good sign. If there was any chance of seizure at tickover it would probably had stopped the engine. If you suspect there is damage to the engine the first thing to do is to do a full compression check & check for unusual noises from each cylinder using a large screwdriver as a stethoscope, tip to engine, handle to ear. You will hear all kinds of noises but a scuffed piston will make a 'knocking' type noise. In the end if the coolant level is okay then there is very little chance of there being a problem if the bike gets a bit hot.

HTH

·
Registered
449 Posts
My 11 has a bit of a stumble @ 1000-3000, I think it's cuz they run a little on the lean side. I also noticed slight popping(backfire exhaust side) when the weather is cooler. I think throwing a jet kit at it would take care of the problem, but keep the stock pipes on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies!

It might have lost some coolant. After running it yesterday, I could smell coolant when I stopped the bike. Bummer. The engine sounds fine, that is without using the 'stethascope' method. It looks like the coolant came from the feed rail just above the carbs. I need to get a compression tester to do that test.

Wouldn't internal damage cause the motor to run bad across the board?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts