Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

New to the forum but have been browsing a while now.

I have an '08 14 with a set of TBR slip-ons and it time for a PCV...
I live in South Africa at Altitude 5550ft above Sea level. I plan to make regular trips to the coast with my trusty steed.... Is it advisable to have the PCV installed with a custom map or would a standard map (Which Im told is based on sea level) be suffficient without any major loss in performance/fuel economy etc

Please advise.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hi Guys

New to the forum but have been browsing a while now.

I have an '08 14 with a set of TBR slip-ons and it time for a PCV...
I live in South Africa at Altitude 5550ft above Sea level. I plan to make regular trips to the coast with my trusty steed.... Is it advisable to have the PCV installed with a custom map or would a standard map (Which Im told is based on sea level) be suffficient without any major loss in performance/fuel economy etc

Please advise.
I'd add the auto tune feature if you have a bung for it to screw into. Constantly adjusts the tune in the PCV to optimal. No need for a separate "custom" tune.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I live at the beach in SoCal, I got a Jeffo map for mine. I gave him the requirements for a map at sea level and one for the local mountials up to 7000 ft +. When I ride in the mountians I hook up the laptop to the PC and tweek the map per Jeffo's settings, then when I return I just reset. For the $50 for the Jeffo map I very satisfied.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I removed the flys.
Since the standard fly operation only has a negative affect on power below 6000 rpm's, that is where the air/fuel ratio will be most affected by fly removal.
All scoots benefit from fine tuning the fuel system to achieve the proper air/fuel ratio, so the power commander will benefit thru out the rpm range.
On my 2006 i removed the flies when i had the stock exhaust,a BIG difference was made in torque and acceleration in those lower rpm's. There was a slight leanness noted at cruise that caused a bit of rough runnin, but was not that bad. The 2008 and later 14's are not as lazy as the 06 7 07's, but yours will still benefit.
You'll more than likely also have to re-mapp.
SWB 2008 ZX-14
9.19 @ 151
5.98 @ 123
1.53 60'

Buddy of mine also upgraded and this is what he says: I would recommend a PCIII or PCV with a suitable map. From the charts I've seen the bike will run very lean without it.

I removed the flies on my 09 and fitted the PCV/Autotune + Yoshi slip-ons. With a decent map the torque from 2000 to 4000 rpm is much improved. Actually I'd say the delivery from 2000rpm is vicious!

Hope you not going to take your old lady on your monster afterward 'cause she's not going to be able to hang on!! Keep ridin!!! Hope you got accident insurance.

Interesting article - "I’ve reached a milestone in performance improvements on my bike. It started innocently enough when I did the first thing everyone does, aftermarket exhaust. I got twin Muzzy slip-ons because I wasn’t that interested in more performance, just sound and aesthetics. The new exhaust started backfiring. I called Muzzy to ask about it and I was told that Any change in the stock system would need other changes like mapping or timing. I was worried at the time that it might not be good for the engine if I didn’t make adjustments. I bought a PCIII second hand and loaded the DJ map for “slip ons.” It was pretty flat. Didn’t make it worse but didn’t make it better either. I was having a problem with ambient heat so I decided to have the headers ceramic coated. First I got some headers form an ’06 model and had them ceramic coated. I figure that since the catalytic converter created a tremendous amount of heat the ’06 headers would solve that problem since they don’t have one. I also figured that although the ’06 had slightly smaller exit pipes (1/8” dia less) the lack of a cat would allow them to flow as well as the ’08 unit with the cat in it. New OEM gaskets adapted the slip-ons for the ’08 onto the ’06 exit pipes. Then I called Muzzy again and they sent me a new map which was for “full Muzzy system.” That worked great, but I still had backfire problems. I decided to disable the supplementary air system and see what happens. I plugged the tube that comes out of the bottom of the air box, with a wooden dowel and stuck it back in. Voila…backfire stopped 99%. I was happy at this point but…I kept reading in the forum about these great maps guys were getting and raving about, from Ivan and Brock and Fuel Moto. Well fact is, they woln’t give or sell you a map unless you buy mucho bucks worth of stuff from them. The Dyno Jet maps were really poor and there wasn’t a source where one could go and buy or download a map. In the mean time I decided I needed Auto Tune. I was going to have a bung welded into my ’08 headders and I was out in the shop one day and just took the headers over to the band saw and cut the collector in half! That made it easy to remove the cat from it. Then I had the bung put on and welded it back together and then took it down and had it ceramic coated. Then I bought a PCV and AutoTune second hand.
Then along comes FAICS service. I got in touch with Jeffo and we talked for quite a while. He wanted to know where I ride, how I ride and what I was looking for performance wise. He also talked me into removing the flies. The next day he sent me a map, custom for what I wanted. WOW! This is just what I had been looking for since long ago. Another source for maps and I didn’t have to buy something for $200+ to get it. Just $50. And all the initial comments on his work, in the forum, were great. Then I got my newly coated catless headers back and installed them with my Muzzys. (I also had the midpipes ceramic coated which looks sharp.) I loaded the map I got from Jeffo and went for a spin. Well…it had some problems. But I did this amazing thing! I called him back!! (Gee what a concept, it just seemed better than getting pissed and calling him names.)
I told him, in detail, what I didn’t like. He responded within the hour with a new map. I tried it and called him back again and again he sent me a new map right away. I kept noting the subtle changes he was making as we progressed. I ended up getting 3 revisions until it was perfect. Excellent is the word for throttle response, acceleration, smooth cruzing, parking lot speeds and everything else. As a matter of fact my bike is now so powerful and so quick that it’s almost intimidating. A bike like this probably shouldn’t be on the streets! This is what I always thought a full blown Superbike for the track would feel like. If there is such a thing as too much power it might be my bike!
So here’s a formula for a bike that’s too fast…
> Remove stock muffler cans and get high quality slip-ons. (I got Muzzy oval, carbon fiber.)
> Remove catalytic converter from headers.
> Have headers and mid pipes ceramic coated.
> Remove flies.
> Disable the supplementary air system.
> Install K&N air filter.
> Get a map from Jeffo and work with him until it is just the way you want it!"

ThisAlso -

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Unless you are worried about having every horse power you can get i wouldn't worry about a new map for different altitudes. The stock computer compensates for altitide so no worries. All the pcv does is take the stock map and add or subtract fuel from it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts