Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Anyone know where I can read up on the Power Commander install for our mean machine? I am considering getting one with the exhaust, but want to be sure it's something I will do myself. Didnt see it on the PC site...

Thanks,
Darren

·
Registered
160 Posts
If I understand this correctly the power commander is a programmable device that is used to fool the ECU. The point of this is to change the amount of fuel that is injected under various conditions to get the best performance. The idea being that the ECU is programmed from the factory for emissions and cannot be changed, so the only way to improve the performance and to hell with the emissions is to fool it into doing what you want.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Jonathon is basically correct, it allows you to alter the fuel/air mixture at different revs either with a computer or via the buttons on the unit. Can fix issues where fitting a third party exhaust makes the bike run too lean for example.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Reese buddy....

Go to Fuelmoto.com/ Jamie sells more powercommanders than Dynojet does...and they make um... lol

I put one on my bike last Saturday night..

Basically a power commander is exactly as Ian described.. kind of like a Stage II jet kit used to be for a carbureated bike. but its fully adjustable in all the ranges of thottle position and engine speed.

Now I put mine on with the stock exhaust still mounted (coz my AreaP pipe ain't here yet, hopefully today) and it made a big difference in the way the bike ran. The map that Jamie sends loaded in it is probably only a 10% increase of fuel across the boards but HOLYCHIT it comes on harder in the midrange and there is NO surge at 6500rmp anymore.. it pulls really hard from about 5000rpm to redline... second gear is pants-messy scary! :)

After I put the AreaP carbon fiber exhaust on... I should pickup another 5hp and 5ft/lbs of torque. and lose 15POUNDS of ugly weight.

My new tires are being mounted today.. I'll let you know what they charged me for the Avons.

Hot damn.. New tires, a pipe and a power commander... boy there might be something better in life than that...... but right now.. I dont know what the hell that is!

Jerry

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing quite like inciting extreme jealosy, right Jerry? Thanks, will read up on it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Awwe I'm sorry.. I didn't mean to incite any jealousy, I just was happy everything was going well this week... don't worry.. someone will fook it up! And you know theres nothing better than new sneakers..

They avons seem to have a big price difference depending where you shop.. I've seen the fronts from 120 to 150... and the rears from 175 to 210. He got me a little on the high side, but wasn't bad for the mount and balance.

The Storms are SMOOTH, QUIET, and really PREDICTABLE. A great steering tire.. lots of good feedback from the front end in corners, contact patch actually gets bigger the farther over the lean angle. Good confidence building tire. They are chock full of silica so they are supposed to really rock in the wet.. Hey if the Brits cant build good rain tires... who can?

Again I apologize for inciting any extreme jealousies.. it was not intended.

Besides, I got my bonus at work, and I'm right in the middle of my middle age crisis... so there. :nana

1 - 9 of 9 Posts