Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have much luck with this?? rattle can?? they're really thin and flex alot. paint justs cracks and flakes off. was thinking maybe outdoor vinyl wrap. what would you guys do? not looking for showroom here. good from a short distants would be good:thefinger

ps. how do you upload a pic on this site?

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I did mine in black Plasti-Dip. Can be had at home depot for $6 a can. I think I used 5 cans to do my whole bike including the tank. Or you can buy the kit on their website.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks good. what kinda prep did you have to do?? colors?? oh, how is it applied??

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SpeakerBox, I looked it up on home depots web site. looks like just what i amd looking for. does it go on kinda think and is it forgivig? like filling small scratches and such

·
Registered
548 Posts
SpeakerBox, I looked it up on home depots web site. looks like just what i amd looking for. does it go on kinda think and is it forgivig? like filling small scratches and such
When I sprayed it on, I was hoping it would fill some small scratches and it did it like a champ! I had a big chunk of paint that was chipped from my tank. I fanned the edges with some sand paper and sprayed it on a bit heavy to fill it in. Then misted it to make it match the rest and you can't even tell there was ever a problem on the tank. It's VERY forgiving! Spray it on heavy and up close and it'll go on smooth. Mist it over the surface, and it'll have a very flat like quality like mine. It feels like rubber as well, almost like a new pair of wire cutters with the rough rubber feel. No real prep work. Just wipe down the plastics and spray it on. Now the only issue is when filling up with gas(found this out the hard way). Try not to get gas on it, period. I did and it ran and thinned out. It really sucked but I taped off the gas cap, sprayed a couple light coats on the affected area and it was back to normal. The best part is that if you don't want that particular color anymore, you just peel it off! It doesn't affect the previous paint job at all. I know you can order this stuff through Ace Hardware to get different colors, I'm not sure if Home Depot sells the different colors. Check out their website, you can buy it by the kit and mix your own colors. www.plastidip.com

Also, I did this in my driveway, not in a booth or anything. If you get some on the concrete, NO PROBLEM! Go get a broom(or use your foot like I did) and it comes right up into a black, or whatever color you decide to use, dust that you can sweep up.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I am a painter so what I would do is sand it till its smooth, clean it clean it clean it wipe it off with prep rags mask and tape off the things you don't want painted, do 1 or 2 coats primer let it cure sand the primer smooth hit it with a prep rag get nason single stage paint do 3 light coats and it will look show room if you do it right

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am a painter so what I would do is sand it till its smooth, clean it clean it clean it wipe it off with prep rags mask and tape off the things you don't want painted, do 1 or 2 coats primer let it cure sand the primer smooth hit it with a prep rag get nason single stage paint do 3 light coats and it will look show room if you do it right
Im really only looking for quick and easy. I really want factory plastics but it had fiberglass race fairings on it when I bought it. The guy I got it from must have touched it up before selling. It looked decent back in Feb but sense then the paint it cracking and starting to flake off. the fairings are just so thin!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
That plastidip is flexible so you shouldn't have an issue with it flaking at all. Its the best thing I've found personally for a cheap, good looking fix to any paint issues.

·
Registered
224 Posts
wow that looks good

I did mine in black Plasti-Dip. Can be had at home depot for $6 a can. I think I used 5 cans to do my whole bike including the tank. Or you can buy the kit on their website.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That plastidip is flexible so you shouldn't have an issue with it flaking at all. Its the best thing I've found personally for a cheap, good looking fix to any paint issues.

Have you had any issues with engine heat on the side fairings?? How about weight. Did you notice a difference before and after applying it? About how long has it been sense you did it??
Thanks for all the info bro!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how will it hold up on thin fiberglass? im just worried that every time i take them off to work on the bike, the paint will crack and flake off. I hate these fairings. theyre so flemsy

·
Registered
46 Posts
I always use flex additive and adhesion promoter when I'm painting plastic or anything flexible. Hell even does good on light guage sheetmetal.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I always use flex additive and adhesion promoter when I'm painting plastic or anything flexible. Hell even does good on light guage sheetmetal.

Was just about to suggest this.

A good primer and adhesion promoter is your best friend when painting anything flexible especially plastic and fiber glass. I like to use the Bulldog brand adhesion promoter. I believe they sell it in a spray can as well.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Was just about to suggest this.

A good primer and adhesion promoter is your best friend when painting anything flexible especially plastic and fiber glass. I like to use the Bulldog brand adhesion promoter. I believe they sell it in a spray can as well.
+1+1 bulldog is great and it comes in the spray can.

·
Registered
548 Posts
wow that looks good
Thanks!

Have you had any issues with engine heat on the side fairings?? How about weight. Did you notice a difference before and after applying it? About how long has it been sense you did it??
Thanks for all the info bro!
No issues what so ever. Also didn't notice any difference in weight. I'm sure there's a difference but it's minimal at best, maybe grams? I've had it on there for about 150 miles now with no issues. I think it's well worth the time to do it. Yeah, paint looks awesome but it's a bit tougher to lay down right without prior painting experience(I used to paint cars at a car dealership collision center) plus there's a ton of prep work involved in painting. With this stuff, you get a rock chip? No problem, spray some more and it's like it never happened. Got some over spray because you didn't tape everything off right? No problem, if it's heavy, peel it off. If it's misted on the area, rub your hand across it and it'll rub right on off. If you just want something to get you by and look good, hard to mess up, and is inexpensive, this stuff is the way to go. http://www.dipyourcar.com/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts