Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this came up in the (Dragon of Oregon) forum!!! Looks like we have about 4 people(including me) interested in getting together a little later this year, somewhere between April if the it's warm, to June. The location is Hwy 53. If anyone is interested on coming to this thing, post up. Also nice to hear everyone's opinion on this meet!!!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about we bring all of the talk about he meet over here......

I can't make it in March i have an MX6 meet in Yakima spring-break....March 25!!!

Ummmm......can we do it after school is over? Like the middle of June? Shouldn't be too hot in the mountains????

·
Registered
123 Posts
i'm interested, too. thinking its going to be at least a 3 or 4 day trip, if we don't pound any freeways on the way there: one day into central oregon; one day down to n. cali, maybe spend another half-day there and one-and-a-half days back if we pound the freeways?

not sure about some of the passes being open either, i've only been down there once.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am down in Southern Oregon (Grants Pass) and know just about all of the best roads for smilage. Also know No. CA roads as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If it ever stops raining, I would be interested. Work will be intense for the next six or seven months but a three day weekend is always possible. Just need to know a time and place.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well what do you guys think if we do this in the middle of June? Maybe like 23rd - the 26th? It shouldn't be too hot in northern oregon....so if you guy would post some dates it would be nice so we could figure something out!!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don’t post to the forums much but as you are talking about coming to play in my back yard I thought I would offer some personal insight. First highway 53. This is a short ride about 18 miles from Wheeler up to hwy 26. Most will ride one way turnaround and ride back. It is well worth it. This road offers tight turns and some sweepers. It is in very good shape and lightly patrolled by law enforcement. April and May can find gravel on the road surface, this is usually clear by June. There is some gravel drives and access roads that may spread debris onto the hwy surface. This is the only drawback. I would rate this gem of a road at 9 out of 10.

Another good ride is Hwy 47 starting at US 26 north to the town of Vernonia, on to the little burg of Mist and out of the coast range to the town of Clatskanie. The road up to mist is in great shape but you need to be on the look out for deer in the morning and evening. From Mist to Clatskanie the road is used by a lot of log trucks and is very narrow at points. This stretch has a lot of tight low speed turns. If done on a Saturday or Sunday and ridden with a bit of caution it is a absolute blast. The one note is that at Mist you need to take a right turn to stay on hwy. 47, otherwise you find yourself on Hwy. 202 on the way to Astoria. A short word about 202. Last year it featured pot holes that would swallow a Cadillac. It also has sections that had rocks which had fallen from the hillside onto the roadway, and cracks 10 to 15 feet in length 3 to 5 inch wide and as much as 5 inch deep. I know of three riders that have gone down on this road, still if you use a bit of caution it is a great ride ending at Astoria.

The Three Capes scenic route west and south of Tillamook is a good ride, although by June you may find a lot of tourist. These roads are in good shape but not all the corners are well marked. A few years ago a friend missed a 90 degree turn and lunched his Suzuki and himself into Tillamook bay. Still on a sunny day you can’t beat a ride on the Oregon coast.

I hope some of this information helps. As I said living in Portland makes the north coast area like my back yard. All of the roads can be done as a day trip from Portland and there is a lot of great places to see.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that marbec1a, lot's of good information.....so are you going to come with? Well i guess the nicest thing would to meet at Wheeler in the morning and ride the stretch back and forth. Then ride to Portland and spend the night at a hotel, in the morning we can go and check out Hwy 47, ride all day and go back to Portland and at night we can tear up the streets of Portland for a little bit and then spend another night in the hotel, sleep in the next day and ride home in the afternoon!!!!

Its just something i came up with as i went along....what do you guy's think????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts