Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, i'm Canadian so my numbers are in celcius.

2003 ZX6R
Coolant flush done ~600km ago from dealer.

the highest i've seen my ride go at is 102-103 degrees (digital, not with bar).
Today, it was a warm day(25 degrees), i picked up the wife from work for a ride, so we were two on the bike, so i guess it had to force a bit more, it was mostly trafficky, so i expect it to go around 100 when stuck in traffic, based on previous experience.

anyways when i got home, the bike was at 106(never saw it pass 103), and i heard a small bbbzzzzz noise for about 8 seconds after turning off the bike. when i went back out 2 hours later, the kickstand melted my driveway and left a nice hole where the kickstand was. i'm assuming because the heat of the kickstand , being metal, got to high...

thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
That buzz was your radiator fan going off and that's a good thing. 103C is about 217F and if it was that hot outwith traffic and 2 up, that sound around normal.

The round hole in your driveway was probably from the asphalt being hot and the weight of your bike. Not because the kickstand was hot enough to melt asphalt.
If it was, you'd have other problems.

I normally don't leave mine on hot asphalt for that reason. If you have a small piece of plywood, say 4" x 4" or anything flat like that, I would stick that under the kick stand next time.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
the kickstand melted my driveway and left a nice hole where the kickstand was. i'm assuming because the heat of the kickstand , being metal, got to high...

thoughts?
Probably not, if it is warm out asphalt softens up big time and the weight of your bike on that tiny kickstand will punch holes in that shit easy. The bike could be cold and it would do it.

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
Damn i need my Canadian to American temperature counting thing converter..

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Roughly 80 degrees.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That buzz was your radiator fan going off and that's a good thing. 103C is about 217F and if it was that hot outwith traffic and 2 up, that sound around normal.

The round hole in your driveway was probably from the asphalt being hot and the weight of your bike. Not because the kickstand was hot enough to melt asphalt.
If it was, you'd have other problems.

I normally don't leave mine on hot asphalt for that reason. If you have a small piece of plywood, say 4" x 4" or anything flat like that, I would stick that under the kick stand next time.
Great, thanks for that (and other responses ), I can sleep a lot better now :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have this spot that i always park my bikes away from people. And there are all these weird circles and these oval ones left over from my bikes kickstand. The circle are from the ZX10R and the oval ones are from the klr 650. You could tell which bike i was riding by the impressions left after.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Damn i need my Canadian to American temperature counting thing converter..
C = (F - 32) * .555

F = (C + 32) * .555

OR just Google "Celsius to Fahrenheit converter" :evil

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
C = (F - 32) * .555

F = (C + 32) * .555

OR just Google "Celsius to Fahrenheit converter" :evil
Ehhh, im lazy. And really didnt feel like answering the question anyways. :crackup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts