Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi agian,
Thought I would share this with you guys, it's kind of funny. I just bought my 1991 ZX-11 just a couple weeks ago. The guy I bought it from said that a previous owner disabled the low fuel lights on the panel, and of course my "C" model doesn't have a fuel gauge OR reserve! That really sucks. The seller told me to not go over 200 miles on the trip meter and I should be fine. I went to the store last night and my trip meter read 176. Well, you guessed it, on the way home it died. No reserve, nothing. Just coasting. I was kind of on a back road, and while listening to only the wind rushing past my helmet, I was thinking of the nearest gas station that I would push this thing to. Well after coasting what seemed to be about 1/4 mile, I barely got over a small hill, and there at the bottom was a Circle K gas station!!! I coasted right in, and all was fine.

I did a little troubleshooting, and found the wires are connected to the tank and the bulbs on the panel are good. :headscratch Anyone have any ideas?

I sure envy you guys with the "D" model and that nice FUEL GAUGE.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The fastest way to turn off those fuel lights, is to remove the dedicated relay (it's a relay as when the light comes "on", they blink, and blink and blink, and blink and... well, you got the idea... continuously). If you want to check if the relay have been removed, it is located on the rear LH side of the bike. You need to remove the LH side cover to find it and it is just sitting on the side of the other (for turn signals) relay.

There are a few ways to "improve" the fuel lights system; I could copy paste it here if you ignore them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for the help. Why is there two fuel lights? Does one come on, then the next comes on with even less fuel? Please copy and paste here about the improvements. I'd rather have too much information than not enough.

Thanks again,
Mark

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Both lights works together; they come on and off as a pair, at the same rate.

Improvement #1
The most annoying thing is the blinking feature. You can make them stop blink (they will come "on" but steadyly) by replacing the relay with a jump wire where the relay is (after you removed the later, of course).

Improvement #2
I replaced both OEM (3 watts) bulbs with lower (1.7 watts) rated units. They are still plenty visible but they glare less. #1 and #2 together result in a much, much better set-up (IMHO).

Improvement #3
Last one was to slightly bend the fuel sensor into the fuel tank to sank it a bit lower in the fuel. As a result, both fuel lights comes on a bit later (~20 km). Do this slowly though and not too much or you could break the sensor.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I don't see a relay. Here are some pictures of the bike with the covers off. Do you see anything that looks like that relay?

Left side:

Left side with turn signal flasher removed from hanger:

Right side:

Tail section - What are all these extra connectors for? :headscratch

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
On your last picture, the black bracket on the top LH corner is made to hold the two relays I wrote you about. If you need it, I could scan and post a picture from OEM ZX11C repair manual; let me know if you need it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I would appreciate it. I don't currently have anything attached there. It looks like someone's been doing some aftermarket wiring also.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
OK, I scanned my manual today. Look for items 13 and 14; both are for the fuel lighting system (as opposed to what I wrote in my first post above). From memory, it is relay #13 I removed to have the light remain "On" without blinking. In the other post I'll do in a few seconds, you'll see ZX-11C whole wiring diagram (assuming it will help you).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts