Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love the clean green look of this bike (I am sure you are all familiar with it):

This is my bike (Pic taken on a very cloudy day):

I am thinking about trying to remove most of the decal work. I think there is just a little too much purple on my motorcycle. My friends think it's unique and I should leave it alone. My biggest concern is that the green plastic under the decals would be a different shade of green since it has been covered up for 12 years! My 2 questions are these:

1. Should I be worried about faded color?

2. Should I remove most of the decals (probably just leaving the purple Ninja on the tank) or should I leave it the way it is?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would leave it but that is coming from some one that sought out a 97 zx7 green white and purple bike with matching jacket :) so i like loud colors

·
Registered
205 Posts
when i took my decals off, 2 years ago i think, there was no fade or difference in the paint. I like your wheels but i agree with losing the wheel tape. plus if you do it and don't like it you can order new decals and just put it back the way it was, or do what i did and use aftermarket decals.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
My opinion:

I would leave the wheels but only remove the rim stripes. You don't need them on powdercoated wheels.

Remove all side panel decals and replace it with a ZX-7R decal. The white decals on the side panels kind of kill the consistency of your bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of the reasons I am thinking about removitizing some of the decal work is because the corners on some of the purple ones are starting to peel up a little on their own.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Do not change a thing. The more original it looks the better. The Muzzy brand pipe is classic. The rimstripes are easily removable.
Is there any way you can afford 2 bikes in the family?
Maybe something else you could mod extensively for that urge to make your ride unique?
The seven in green gets better every day. It's Kawasaki's Icon in the sportbike class IMO.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do not change a thing. The more original it looks the better. The Muzzy brand pipe is classic. The rimstripes are easily removable.
Is there any way you can afford 2 bikes in the family?
Maybe something else you could mod extensively for that urge to make your ride unique?
The seven in green gets better every day. It's Kawasaki's Icon in the sportbike class IMO.
I agree with you, which is why I have been contemplating making some changes. The purple is not original. The previous owner had the wheels powdercoated purple and added the purple decals - which don't look as nice as they once did.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Before you take off the original decals go price out the replacement decals. I was not happy to find out how much they were and that a few were discontinued.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Everyone has their own style. you have to decide what you like and go with it. I looked at a lot of pics on the web for ideas, (bikepics.com is a good source) before i decided what I like and went with my vinyls. I haven't done anything that can't be undone. Its still the original paint and i only covered the tank decals cause they're clear coated and i would have had to sand them off. All the chrome is from a previous owner. not really my style.

Before....

After....

I've powder coated the wheels black since, cause the chrome was peeling inside the rims causing the bead to leak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts