Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any suspension tuning experience? I was thinking about setting it up for my weight (205lbs) and driving style (twisties) not wheelies or drag racing. I still want it to be streetable because potholes in my area are a reality. I have read my fair share of articles over the years, but its something I have never, ever played around with. Curious as to what everybody else is doing. Bike is a 07 ZX6R

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm of the opinion that this is something you just need to attempt. But you must do so VERY carefully. The first thing you want to do is find yourself a test road. Something bumpy with some turns on it.

Take it out for a sping, then read your tuning guide. Make one small adjustment to one thing according to the instructions in the tuning guide. Make very detailed notes on the changes that you made.

Then go out and try again on the same road. Record the results and make another change. Record the results, and make another change.

There is no subsitute for patience in this endevour. Personally I spent almost 2 weeks fiddling with mine in my free time. I've got it pretty close to the way I want it. But it's still REALLY stiff for street (and my weight).

There is no substitute in this case for detailed notes, and attention to detail. Never change more then one setting at a time, and initially never change things by more then 1/2 then 1/4 turn at a time. If you're doing the forks make sure both forks get adjusted equally (nothing worse then having the two react to a bump differently.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
First things first.....

Set your Sag. Sag is what happens when you set on the bike with whatever you wear riding. 1" of sag, fully clothed, helmet, gloves....whatever you wear. You set sag by having an unloaded bike and you measure a fixed point from the ground up to say a bolt or something on your subfram/tail section. You need three people to do this because one guy measures, one guy holds you and the bike upright/vertical and you are on the bike in the riding position. The front is a little easier because you can put put zip ties on the fork slider and then just see how much it moves when you are on the bike vs. off the bike. Both measurements must be done with bike vertical (not on any kid of stand) and you dressed in riding attire. You adjust sag lower or higher with the springs. Then you fiddle and take detailed notes on everything else.

This is where you must start. Anything else and you will be spinning your wheels........:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

1 - 3 of 3 Posts