Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Concours14 today (hope it was a good day to buy a bike... 7-7-07) at Two Jacks in Wilkes-Barre. They have another in the crate. After following all the systems going into this bike for the last year almost... I really think Kawasaki out did themselves. The bike screams refinement and finesse. Fit and finish is above what I've seen for Kawasaki and I gotta say this bike is so much better looking in person, in 3D,than what pictures can actually show you.

The bike is a tall bike... the seat height is deceiving because even 2-up this stock shock does not squat much from you and yso's body weight. I'm a big guy six foot, 235, stocky, our combined weight around 370. I had the dealer set the shock on the firmer side since we were comming home together.. wasn't necessary, We stopped less than 5 mi from departure to crank it back down and let some air out of the front tire, set the clock..

As tall as the bike is, its equally blessed with smoothness... I cant say it enough.. I mean like electric smooth. Engine, clutch, transmission, drive line.. all unbelievably smooth.. I think even riders with experience on the FJR's and BMW GT will be eyeballing this bike. Even obeying breakin with just quick roll ons to 4000rpm give smooth delivery of tremendous torque. Just really really refined power.. Very docile at idle and pulling out.. very forgiving with small throttle inputs as a touring bike should be.. but just a quick twist and swwwwooooshhhh.

I'll have to check my speedo against someone else.. it seems optimistic to me.. but the smoothness could be making it that deceptive.

55mph in OD had my tach at only 2300rpm

If you've been riding a Concours all these years like I have.. (86 with 66K, '00 with 45K at trade in today) and put up with all its little quirks like buzzy engines, heat up thru the fairing (2 red lights and the fan is on when its 90) noodley front forks and always feeling like there should be a 7th gear?? All addressed on this model.. The gearing is very tall and believe me you will know when its in OD and you wont think about shifting up again. Its a mile muncher for sure.

If you're used to the barn door windscreen of the C10, the C14 will feel like a sportbike fairing and windscreen. Great all the way down on a hot day like today... about half way up the airstream broke at my neck,still quiet around the helmet with clean air, but all the way up did bring some buffeting. Even seeing the prototypes in pictures and their range of up and down with the shield, I knew I would have to get a taller one for cooler weather or during bug season.. ah well I can live with that. The new glove box is small, although I had no trouble just mounting up my Concours tank bag I had on my old bike. Worse case, sw-motech gas tank filler mount would work.. not an issue.. However I would NOT use a magnetic tank bag. Your FOB for the KIPASS system should not be near any strong magnets.:banghead All the hub bub about the key is a mute point.. you never have to take it out if you dont want too.. just use the key in the FOB for your tank, seat, luggage, Its nice having that security and the dash is clean with no hanging key fob .

Seating and peg ergonomics are slightly more relaxed in the hip and even though your legs are stretched out you have tons more ground clearance than a first run Connie. Bar reach feels about the same to me as the bike I traded, I did not have gen-mars on. You do feel more ontop of the front wheel as far as feeling it in a turn and getting feedback from the tire, but I dont feel hunched at all. That 190/75 back tire was glued and so predictable in sharp turns 2-up, On familiar roads once the tires were scuffed in we cornered at speeds this bike just yawns at... where the pucker factor would have kicked in big time before. It is deceptively fast. Please be careful if you test ride or buy one of these fantastic machines.

I have 120 mi on the bike... its 5:30 and cooling down some outside. Im gearing up and hitting the road.

So far I love the bike, no real oppressive heat issues, warm ankles and tupperware in 85F. Unbelievable power, yet so much refinement and finesse.. Its a gentle monster.... kind of a King Kongcours..:crazyloco

Buzzing around in Pennsylvania

Jerry

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jerry,

Thanks for the report.......fantastic!

I was interested in your back tire size 190/75. Thought the specs. stated a 190/50.

Keep riding and giving us not so fortunate souls more observations.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice write up Jerry.
First Congrats to you!

Thanks for the report and for giving us your impression of your bike.

How about a proud owners pics...

Else, have a great time and keep the miles high.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.