Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I think I have been seeing a trend over the last few years but then again, could it be just my imagination?
It seems to me that motorcycling has become or is quickly becoming an "Old Guys" sport.

I first noticed this a couple of years ago during the Austin R.O.T. rally when I stopped at a McDonald's for a quick breakfast sandwich. When I pulled up in the parking lot, I smiled because I saw a group of sport bikes parked. I went in and saw the group of riders, and to my surprise there was mostly gray hair (or lack thereof).

I have been noticing this more frequently as I actually pay attention to it. At gas stations, at rest stops sometimes, or just on the road.

I thought it could be a matter of the price of bikes but there are plenty of good deals on used machines on Craigslist etc.

Or is the very idea of riding becoming outdated as "virtual" adventure takes the place of actual adventure?

·
Registered
781 Posts
When I was riding back in the day we used to ride like 100 deep. After a while, I saw fewer and fewer bikes on the road. Maybe I see one a day, all by himself.
The Millennials have better things to do these days.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Why go out and have to put forth the effort and time to get a bike when you can have an enjoyable experience from the comfort and safety of your parents basement as well as not destroy the planet from our dependency of fossil fuels. Or in a word , Snowflake.

·
6,645 Posts
The guys I ride with here in Houston call me OG. They are all on tiny bikes, mostly MT-07's and ride the piss out of them, slowly if course because those bikes are slow. There are hundreds of riders here in Houston, seems like mostly under 30. They are street racers and/or stunters. When I ride with any of them I give a wide berth. I see at least one bike down a day out here, and several times a few wadded up. I hear of at least one guy a week blowing up his engine. Burn out contests, stunt guys crashing and breaking their cases, poorly maintained bikes with shit falling off. It's crazy out here.

·
Administrator
58,545 Posts
"Old Guy's" sport huh?
I guess everyone is younger than me anyway lol
I see quite a few young sport bike riders here and they're a lot more friendly than the harley crowd whether I'm on the harley or the 14
Wife and i just went on a 170 mile harley ride and the sport bikers were more wave friendly.
I've never really seen very many younger harley riders

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I am certainly one of the "old guys" myself (60yo) but I feel like Chevy Fan Attic summed it up pretty well. Again, it's like the "virtual" is more attractive than the "actual". I always assumed that younger men, especially, would be into the rush that motorcycling provides. It just seems odd that hey dont, or at least seem not to.

As for 57X's observation on the types of riders in his area, I'm not sure what to make of that. Those aren't my type of rider, but at least they're into some aspect of the sport. I mean, when I was younger I would indulge in the occasional street race so I can't fault them too much for a bit of hooliganism, as long as they aren't endangering anyone else.
As for trashing their machines I must admit that I look down on people like that, but that's from someone that names his machines...

In my area (central Tx) the riders I do encounter, sport bike and cruiser alike, usually return a wave or "two down" signal so there is still the spirit of cameraderie.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I gave up riding in 1990 and sold my 900 ninja because of a layoff. Missed it quite a bit over the years. Life changes... started Working at a bar in 2016... Bike guys all day. Started thinking, saved my tips in a plastic cup. In 1990 the dream bike was a zx11... Completely untouchable at the time. Never seen one, never saw one at a dealer. Started lurking Craigslist for a project ninja. 6 months later and 1250$ in singles and quarters I got my dream bike. 92 zx11. I'm 57 now, ride slow. Commute to work weather permitting. Few short rides here and there. I
I live right on a major road here in ny, rt 20. See bikes go by all day. Mostly Harleys with windshields and saddlebags. Mostly older people. Lot more this year seem to be taking bike vacations. A Lot go by packed up heavy for travel. My opinion covid 19 has helped bike riding. Used bike market is big. I see A Lot of project bikes in garages by me. Guys get a family started and putting a bike together a good hobby.
I might take a short bike vacation next sept. Few guys interested.
Young guys still out there. Trashing there stuff. Gopros on there helmets. Got one goes by the house nights around 10:30 at night. Solid 120 in a 30 zone.
At 57, I wanna take a ride, get a slice of pizza, come home and drink beer with the zx11 parked on the sidewalk. Troopers beep and give me a thumbs up!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Lots of younger people are just different. They don’t even care to drive a car let alone a bike. No need to go out when the world comes to them on a computer.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Why go out and have to put forth the effort and time to get a bike when you can have an enjoyable experience from the comfort and safety of your parents basement as well as not destroy the planet from our dependency of fossil fuels. Or in a word , Snowflake.

or a DWELLER

·
Registered
1989 ZX600R & 1986 ZX250R
4 Posts
Hi guys, I think I have been seeing a trend over the last few years but then again, could it be just my imagination?
It seems to me that motorcycling has become or is quickly becoming an "Old Guys" sport.

I first noticed this a couple of years ago during the Austin R.O.T. rally when I stopped at a McDonald's for a quick breakfast sandwich. When I pulled up in the parking lot, I smiled because I saw a group of sport bikes parked. I went in and saw the group of riders, and to my surprise there was mostly gray hair (or lack thereof).

I have been noticing this more frequently as I actually pay attention to it. At gas stations, at rest stops sometimes, or just on the road.

I thought it could be a matter of the price of bikes but there are plenty of good deals on used machines on Craigslist etc.

Or is the very idea of riding becoming outdated as "virtual" adventure takes the place of actual adventure?
You have to put the phone down to ride... and 'Gulp' not look at for an extended (longer than several Min.) period of time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Had a bunch of 16 17 year olds here for a birthday party. While I was cooking I was chatting about drivers permits, licenses and cars. They hardly had any interest in driving period.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts