Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i changed the oil today in my baby and gave her conventional 10w-40 straight motorcycle oil from wally world and she sounds better than ever and even seems to shift smoother.the oil in her was like coffee and for synthetic that tells me she was way past due for a change.anyways i got my bracket on and took her for a ride a bit i didnt want to over do it since my chain is shot but it was fun :) I did have a question what is the factory sprocket sizes on a 2001 zx9r? ive found many sites but they want to sell me wheelie sprokets and high priced products that do the same damn thing as the cheap ones so im looking for a cheap set that is still worthy of buying so no super crappy ones but not paying 150 buks a gear! my new chain will be here tomorrow and i looked at my sprockets and there sharp as a razor so they will just tear my new chain up so gotta change them asap.ive seen some on ebay but finding parts for this bike is like finding the lost city of freaking atlantis lol.i never get the same answer twice so im looking to you good folks for advice.I am going to buy a manual for it as soon as i can but for now im spending the money on my baby

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
Sprocketcenter.com took good care of me. $156 for chain and both sprockets.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
...ive seen some on ebay but finding parts for this bike is like finding the lost city of freaking atlantis lol....
I know what you mean. 530 equipment for our 9s is tough to find. I found what I needed from different online outfits, before throwing in the towel. What a hassle! I ended up just having my mechanic do it all. Cost me a little more, but I don't have a problem keeping him in business.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so i took the chain apart and looked at my sprokets and the rear looks like baghdad after a carpet bombing but the front looks almost new! is this common? or could he have just replaced the front and never the rear or improper adjustment is what im betting on.anyways can i just replace the rear? the front looks new like i said so id hate to waste money but if you need to change both at the same time then im good with that.also wtf is the little star nut thing on the end of the cable thats bracketed to the top of the front sprocket cover???? it looks like some kind of adjustment and its weird i dunno if its to adjust something on the idle or if you change gear ratios and compensate for it on the speedo.its not a drain hose its got a plastic star like nut thing on it.im freaking out wondering wtf it is lol.

·
Registered
73 Posts
ok so i took the chain apart and looked at my sprokets and the rear looks like baghdad after a carpet bombing but the front looks almost new! is this common? or could he have just replaced the front and never the rear or improper adjustment is what im betting on.anyways can i just replace the rear? the front looks new like i said so id hate to waste money but if you need to change both at the same time then im good with that.also wtf is the little star nut thing on the end of the cable thats bracketed to the top of the front sprocket cover???? it looks like some kind of adjustment and its weird i dunno if its to adjust something on the idle or if you change gear ratios and compensate for it on the speedo.its not a drain hose its got a plastic star like nut thing on it.im freaking out wondering wtf it is lol.
Is it an aluminum rear sprocket?

Does it look like this?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea

yea that little thingy there! lol i feel stupid but gotta know what it is.got my chain on today guys did it perfect the first time ive ever riveted 1 so im pretty proud of myself right now :) lol

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
ok so i took the chain apart and looked at my sprokets and the rear looks like baghdad after a carpet bombing but the front looks almost new! is this common? or could he have just replaced the front and never the rear or improper adjustment is what im betting on.anyways can i just replace the rear? ...
That's a familiar question. The answer is Yes, BUT...no. Yes you can put a new chain on without replacing one sprocket or the other, but chances are if one of the sprockets is worn, it'll put so much stress on the chain, it will stretch prematurely and you'll ruin your new chain and your other new sprocket.

Replace both now and be happy longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts