Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know it's not a Kawi, but one of my girlfriends is buying a bike tomorrow with my blessing that it's mechanically sound. It's a... OK here it is...... 1997 yamaha YZF 600R. The bike looks great and runs really good. No shifting issues, brakes feel good, chain and sprockets are in good shape and has been female owned since day one. My only gripe is it feels "heavy" in the front. Tire pressures are good, steering head bearings are good. It's been lowered too about an inch or two and the forks look like they have been lowered about an inch and a half.. Could that be why it feels heavy?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Lowered front end should make it more snappy. But you can try bringing it back up. Otherwise if the bearings are good then it might just be a pig of a bike compared to what you are used to.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
If both the front and rear have been lowered about equally, the bike should handle about the same; just with less ground clearance. If the rear was lowered more than the front the steering will feel slower to react to bar inputs.

If you want to make the bike steer quicker I would suggest raising the rear maybe 10mm as a start. You said the front has already been lowered. If you lower the front some more, you may run into more ground clearance issues when cornering.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Ok I had that same bike but a 2002 it was a great bike for a beginner . It is a little heavy but a beginner probably won't notice any way lowered it does feel like a tank ( I had to lower it for my wife ) . Raise it back up and set the suspension and all will be fine. The power actually comes in at a lot lower rpm witch is a lot more user friendly for a newbie . Hope this is what you are looking for .

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Iron that does help. So it's supposed to feel like a tank? My 7 just feels so light and nimble so I guess thats why I thought it felt funny. Thanks for the input guys. Shes a chunky chick and about 4 inches shorter than me so it fits her good, just the front feels "tankish". Again thanks guys.

·
18,914 Posts
It's just tankish because its lowered other than that its not as nimble as an aluminum frame bike but its ok for a newbie .

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,269 Posts
I think I rode one of these once they are not well balanced. Felt like it would fall into turns from the weight being up high. As a good friend you should streer her to a better balanced bike, perferably one who's tank logo starts with a K.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL Diesel. I tried but the money was right. $2000.

·
18,914 Posts
I think I rode one of these once they are not well balanced. Felt like it would fall into turns from the weight being up high. As a good friend you should streer her to a better balanced bike, perferably one who's tank logo starts with a K.
Ok wise a** you want her to drop a perfectly good kawi ? :chainsaw:rotflmao

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,269 Posts
:rotflmao:angry:rotflmao
Ok wise a** you want her to drop a perfectly good kawi ? :chainsaw:rotflmao
:nana:crackup
:rotflmao

Good Gawd I never thought about it like that. The Yamaha is perfect. Tell er to get it.:rotflmao

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And we didn't find any KTM's in the right price range.

·
18,914 Posts
I think the yamaha is a great little bike, my neighbor still owns the one we had . It still runs like a champ with 50k on the clock. All the ratings I've seen on this bike have been good especially for beginners to intermediates the seat and handle bar configuration is pretty comfy the power is good ( in 02 the r6 had 120hp the yzf600r had 96hp) . the engine is solid( unchanged from 95 I believe and they discontinued it in 07). so tell her to ride the crap out of it and have fun:crazyloco.

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will do iron thanks.

·
18,914 Posts
Your welcome , now don't do anything to make me start ranting again:bonk

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol kk whatever..

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm lost. Well she loves her new bike. I'll try to get pics of it tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts