Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, gonna do my first oil change soon my self, and i was askin my roomate what type of oil i should use. it says 10w30 on the bike but he says 5w30 will do the same. sounds a lil off to me. let me know what u guys think. thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
go with what the bike says.... your friend might be right but i always use what the bike/car/whatever indicates... just so im not second guessing anything. and i suggest mobil 1, im sure i'll get flamed for suggesting it but it works, and i use it in my bike, the german cars i work on and as well as race cars ive worked on.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sorry - can't help you out as I'm still waiting to do my 1st change (which won't happen 'till after I actually get the bike:cussing ) Neither of the oils you mention sound right though. I thought you had have something with more viscosity (thicker) that wouldn't break down at higher running temps. & I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to use automotive oil but something else that's formulated differently. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this will repsond as I'm also interested in getting more info. on this.

·
Registered
92 Posts
10w30 is whats recomended by most motorcycle manufactures these days, u can go with 5w30 or 10w40 but you should try and keep within a 20 weight range (ie. 10/30, 5/25... ext.) are far as what brand and synthetic or non synthetic, its all up to you. Synthetic is a fair bit more expensive so it just comes down to $$$ and personall preference. I use Bell ray EXS superbike oil (full synthetic) and i like it. Makes changing gears a smoother i find but other than that i can't really tell the difference between that and other oils. But at $50+ cdn. for 4L i'm tryin to decide if its really worth the money:banghead. But i know for sure you shouldn't use a synthetic untill your bike is fully broken in, use regular mineral motorcycle oil until your over 5000 km( dono what that is in miles:tard ) then go ahead and buy the fancy shit if you want. thats my 2 cents:smile

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really like Motul 15w50 or Repsol 15w50. Works awesome in the summer. I usually switch to 10w40 in the cooler months though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts