Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

yesterday in the last session of the trackday, the oil warning light just came on :( and it seems valves ratling. This happened just after the long corner that I think I rev to high in 4th gear...

Now the light is always on and this engine knock.
Any ideas? Oil pump or rods?

thanks

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
sounds like you snapped your alternator chain which turns your oil pump or the oil pump went...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep seems so..., I will take the oil off , clutch cover and clutch..., cause this morning I started the bike without any knock. So , if it was a rod it will make noise every time it runs.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
yep seems so..., I will take the oil off , clutch cover and clutch..., cause this morning I started the bike without any knock. So , if it was a rod it will make noise every time it runs.
If the starter is turning the engine over the chain wouldn't be snapped...

Josh

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The oil is level.

Another thing, when I rev up the light goes of :S

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So why it lights up at 1800-2000 rpms?

Im removing the clutch to check the oil pump..., the chain seems ok, lets see the rest

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just removed the oilpump and I didnt find any broken stuff , just "normal" debries marks on the metal.

Any thoughts?

here some pics

video:

·
Registered
78 Posts
just a guess but could it be a blockage in one of the oilways? with the engine running higher rpm the pump will be pumping faster so might only be getting through then?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
humm..., donno. By the manual could be also a relief valve stuck open..., maybe will be my next step.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Check your oil filter it may have a small blockage or could have collapsed on the inside. My little brother had this same issue a couple weeks ago and it was the filter.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just removed the relief valves and cleaned it. However, didnt find any of of them stuck open.

But one thing is anoying me..., the 'C' part:

with some lose parts inside..., some part of the plastic broken and releasing some pieces of black 'plastic?' . Do you know whats the function of this? the manual referes to "engine oil screen?"

cheers

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
The C part is the oil suction screen, the black is carbon not plastic, replace it, its a cheap part and cant hurt to replace. The factory service manual tells you not to dick with/clean the oil pressure relief valves because cleaning them can cause unpredicted results, replace them!!! Your oil pump while it looks scraped up its actually worn in. as long as you didnt find a bunch of metal in your oil pan and in the pump itself leave it alone.

if that does not fix the light issue, hook up an oil pressure guage to the main oil galley on the crank. if it passes replace your switch

1 - 17 of 17 Posts