Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil pan cracked. :(

What do you guys think would be the cost to fix and how many hours would it take ? (Syn oil/filter, gasket, oil pan and labor)

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,701 Posts
How much is an oil pan?

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
Pan and labour is where the cost is at .... filter and oil is stuff all

Reactions: WillZX14

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I'd pull a pan from a salvage motor. I'm sure new pans are ungodly expensive.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pan and labour is where the cost is at .... filter and oil is stuff all
Sure is. Removing the pan is where the headache is.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Oil pan cracked. :(

What do you guys think would be the cost to fix and how many hours would it take ? (Syn oil/filter, gasket, oil pan and labor)
Dang, used pans on ebay start at $249, however I found a 1400 Concours pan that APPEARS identical for less than $100

·
Premium Member
13,243 Posts
Once you pull the header pipes, what else is there?

And what did you do, high-center it on a curb?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

And what did you do, high-center it on a curb?
Crazy but it was rolling the bike onto a trailer/ramp which was on a steep angle. The pan somehow hit the edge of the ramp and cracked. Had a guy who helped me push the but think that extra aggressive push likely made it worse.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much do you think it'll cost parts/labor?

a.) $200-300
b.) $300-600
c.) $ 600-800

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would've taken a shot at the repair but heard that pan is a pain to remove. I'd probably be there for 3 days. :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
I would've taken a shot at the repair but heard that pan is a pain to remove. I'd probably be there for 3 days. :D
Have you downloaded the .pdf manual? If anything like earlier ZXs the biggest pain is dropping the exhaust. If you do it yourself spray a can of brake cleaner all around the insides of the engine and allow to drip dry then wipe with a shop rag. Oil seeping down and ruining the Hondabond seal is the usuall pitfall.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you downloaded the .pdf manual? If anything like earlier ZXs the biggest pain is dropping the exhaust. If you do it yourself spray a can of brake cleaner all around the insides of the engine and allow to drip dry then wipe with a shop rag. Oil seeping down and ruining the Hondabond seal is the usuall pitfall.
Yes I have one but I think I'll pass this job down to my mechanic. There are some things I do on my bikes and other work, well I'd rather not.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Can't be too much of a problem. I'm very generous with brake clean spray. I'd say it would take me half a day.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts