Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just got done changing the oil on my 03 636 and when i started it up the oil light was on. i let it run for about 20 seconds figuring it would shut off but it did not, and the engine started knocking. And its nothing obvious, i did put the oil filter on, capped the oil pan, and filled it up. any ideas ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
make sure there is enough oil- halfway in sightglass with bike level. If thats not it there is prob air trapped in the system. Generally you loosen oil filter and retighten while running to burp it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
How much oil did you put in it?

And what kind of oil?

I agree with what Sev is asking here. If you used an oil that is too thin the engine will knock especially if you didnt put in enough.

It should take a little less than 4 quarts to get the level where it needs to be on the bullseye.

Also triple check your oil filter and make sure nothing is preventing the oil from flowing in and out of it.

If everything is right it sounds like the oil pump shit the bed on you.

·
Registered
264 Posts
yup, your oil pump lost its prime. Sometimes happens when you leave the drain plug out an extra amount of time trying to get every last drop of oil out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.