Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, I just replaced the engine in my bike. Oil cooler was empty. I poured oild in till the sight glass showed full. Cranked over the engine till it started, shut it off. Add some more oil since it shows empty, start it again...shut it off, check the oil level, add some more. I do this a total of 3 or 4 times. I now notice that the oil level is draining out of the sight glass when the bike runs, but when it stops, the sight glass fills back up

So the questions is, is this draining and filling in the sight glass normal? I never looked at the sight glass while the engine was running till tonight.

I'm a little worried about the oil cooler, the service manual says nothing of filling the cooler, but I'm still a bit worried, I've also never worked with banjo bolts before, so basically I don't trust myself with them. Even if the brakes and clutch work :) I'm hoping I'm just overreacting :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
When the engine is turned over or running the oil is pumped around the various places it is needed, this will drop the oil level in the sump at it cant be in two places at the same time, as to whether the oil cooler should be filled I sadly can't answer that but perhaps someone here can!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I figured oil goes elsewhere, its just a matter of how much. The sight glass literally goes to empty, which is the only worry, but like I said, when its off, it fills back up.

Yeah, and if anyone can answer the oil cooler fill question, I'd appreciate it :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
What kind of bike have you got? Fan's normally come on between 100 and 120 degrees C, so you gotta get it pretty warm first.

If it doesn't come on, check the fuse. Then make sure the fan itself works, just run two wires too it from the battery. If that works you're going to want to check the wiring for continuity (you'll need a wiring diagram and a multimeter). If that doesn't work you want to check the temp sensor.

Basically, track down a manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts