Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 96 zx-11 with 5K miles. I did an oil change 10w40 full synthetic a few days ago and I noticed yesterday oil is leaking from the rear drain plug. I changed the drain plug with a new one and a new washer. Same thing happened the following day. I tighten it up more still leaking. Any suggestions? Am I missing something some type of sealant on the drain plug? I’m open to suggestions.
thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd be tempted to make sure the filter cover o-ring isn't leaking (did you replace it when you changed the filter?). That can sometimes appear as if the drain plug is leaking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced the oil filter and the o-ring. you can see oil seaping out from the drainplug. i still don't understand since i put in a new drain plug and washer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep its torqued per kawasaki's specs. my next option is to fix this by replacing the oil pan.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Replacing the oil pan will work but having an Helicoil installed will repair the damaged threads (and should be cheaper and faster). Inspect the threads first to be sure it's the root cause.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took off the drain plug again and put in a rubber oring that fix snug over the threads. problem resolved. no more oil leak.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I took off the drain plug again and put in a rubber oring that fix snug over the threads. problem resolved. no more oil leak.
good deal.. I know it's a given, but just be sure to check it periodically to make sure it isn't leaking anymore..

good job, dude :clap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.