Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw in another thread that some are using the Wal Mart ST7317 oil filter. I went to get one, but found it is a spin on filter. These take a cartridge filter, right? Are the spin ons for another model of ZX? Also, JCW says the same filter works for an old bike I had (CB750) and this one. I looked up the fram version and it says to use a different one for that bike (CH6009)than this one(CH6012). Why would those be different but the JCW ones the same? Anyone use the JCW oil filters? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This is one of the mods that I have made to my D9. Make oil changes much simpler. Still a little messy but no where near as bad as the internal cartridge type that is stock. That and you can get a filter anywhere.
http://www.bergmenengineering.com/Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter Kit.shtml
This kit was orignally intended for the Concours 1000, but the basic engine configuration is the same. I have over 15,000 miles since the install with no problems.
Jay

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am using the long filter that they supplied. I am not sure that it would make a lot of difference other than the filter area. There was some concern intially about the amount of exposure under the engine but I have not seen anything to cause me concern. A lot of things are going to get whacked before the filter gets it. And it would have to be a really hard hit to do any damage severe enough to cause a catostrophic oil release. If that much oil came out you would most likely crash because of the oiled rear tire before the engine would blow and then you would have a whole different set of problems. The kit was well made and real easy to install. I initially thought it was a little pricey, but when I got it it did not take a lot of time to justify the cost. The housing is machined from a billet of 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum alloy that I know was about $16-18 raw material cost. With materials and machine time, even CNC, the manufacture cost was probably close to $60 so with the filters and the details suddenly the price was right. My bike is in the shed and I am not sure I can get a pic of right now.

You can see some of it here. The shiny piece just below the engine cradle is the housing. I use black Wix filters so you cant really see the filter.
Jay

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Jay, just by looking at your picture, we can see the filter is hidden under the lowers which means it is well protected enough. If I ever got this kit, it will be with a long filter. Thanks for the infos!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another plus for the Bergman conversion kit. Installed one quickly on an 04 ZZR1200.
Used the ST7317 filter on this bike and basically all other Kwaks that use a spin on filter. Finally traded the ZZR in on a C-14 and use the 7317 on it also. Much easier oil change than messing with the cartridge filter. :smile

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is one of the mods that I have made to my D9. Make oil changes much simpler. Still a little messy but no where near as bad as the internal cartridge type that is stock. That and you can get a filter anywhere.
http://www.bergmenengineering.com/Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter Kit.shtml
This kit was orignally intended for the Concours 1000, but the basic engine configuration is the same. I have over 15,000 miles since the install with no problems.
Jay

Wow, looks like a great product! Thanks for sharing! Have you had any problems with the housing loosening up along with the filter?

·
Registered
217 Posts
No. None whatsoever. The kit is supplied with the appropriate grades of Loctite and sealants. I had similiar concerns, but those have been alleviated. The adaptor that the housing screws onto is a very nicely machined piece. I am a machinist and a mechanical inspector and I know more about threads than I ever thought possible and these guys cut a really nice thread. That is part of what I was talking about in an earlier post on this topic when I say I understand what the cost of manufacture is and the subsequent retail cost. Hope this helps.
Jay

·
Registered
2000 ZX-11 Plus 5 other bikes
8 Posts
No. None whatsoever. The kit is supplied with the appropriate grades of Loctite and sealants. I had similiar concerns, but those have been alleviated. The adaptor that the housing screws onto is a very nicely machined piece. I am a machinist and a mechanical inspector and I know more about threads than I ever thought possible and these guys cut a really nice thread. That is part of what I was talking about in an earlier post on this topic when I say I understand what the cost of manufacture is and the subsequent retail cost. Hope this helps.
Jay
Ok Dude, you Sold me. Just bought one from murphs kits in Kentucky. He is shipping it right now. Murphskits.com and it lists all bikes that adapter (originally designed for the concours) fits my ZX11. Beyond excited cause them oil changes really do draw vacuum. :fu*kyea:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah, sold me too! Anxiously awaiting mine to come just in time for my next oil change.
Now about that ST7317 filter- is that a filter type that cross references from brand to brand, or specific to one particular brand?
Also does anyone know what the filter media is composed of? I just got done watching a FORTNINE video regarding oil filters,
and would like to make sure and get the cheap -but- superior paper style.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No worries there M.Rad, your kit comes with a BUNCH of filters and sizes so you can just pick one. The ST WalMart filter is actually miles better than a K&N filter and I stopped using those cause they shipped off the manufacturing processes to China and of course them nimrods have fu*ked that up too. Under racing conditions, (not sure about street use really) the damn wld around the nut on K&N gives out due to metal stresses of welding and inferior thickness of same they split and dump oil all over your rear tire. I was accelerating out of a turn and was way up in the rev's (over 11k) when mine gave out but I managed to save the bike and limp back to the pits......towed most of the way back ..... and it was a split in the K&N right in that damn spot so no mo K&N for me ever. Mostly cause I ruined a good pair of skivvies and shortened my track day. I use the Mobil1 M1-108 (smaller size) or the M1-110 (Larger size) but saw a video on the construction and supposedly those ST filters came in second only to Mobil1 filters beating out far more "prestigious" brands. It wasn't Fortnine video but that "other" guy that tests all kinds of weird stuff, cant recall his name. Anyway I went with the Best, for my track days anyway. Maybe I will try that ST filter someday.:rolleyes::unsure::ROFLMAO: If I get broke......

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,415 Posts
No worries there M.Rad, your kit comes with a BUNCH of filters and sizes so you can just pick one. The ST WalMart filter is actually miles better than a K&N filter and I stopped using those cause they shipped off the manufacturing processes to China and of course them nimrods have fu*ked that up too. Under racing conditions, (not sure about street use really) the damn wld around the nut on K&N gives out due to metal stresses of welding and inferior thickness of same they split and dump oil all over your rear tire. I was accelerating out of a turn and was way up in the rev's (over 11k) when mine gave out but I managed to save the bike and limp back to the pits......towed most of the way back ..... and it was a split in the K&N right in that damn spot so no mo K&N for me ever. Mostly cause I ruined a good pair of skivvies and shortened my track day. I use the Mobil1 M1-108 (smaller size) or the M1-110 (Larger size) but saw a video on the construction and supposedly those ST filters came in second only to Mobil1 filters beating out far more "prestigious" brands. It wasn't Fortnine video but that "other" guy that tests all kinds of weird stuff, cant recall his name. Anyway I went with the Best, for my track days anyway. Maybe I will try that ST filter someday.:rolleyes::unsure::ROFLMAO: If I get broke......
Project farm? Or the other guy that test motorcycle filters?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Project farm? Or the other guy that test motorcycle filters?
Project Farm is the one I saw and really listed exactly how they tested from right to left. Notice K&N finished last? BUTT anyone wasting time testing FRAM filters I really had to laugh my butt off at that. The only thing Fram is good for is spending money on advertising. Stopped using them way back in the early 80's when I learned how bad they really are. The other guy testing WIX filters I did not see but Wix also makes NAPA Filters. They are identical just different P/N's. They are very reliable as I have used them on my Gold Wing Conversion to external filter for years. It's when I just wanna cruise and not really spread my wings and Zoom Zoom. I have since stopped using ALL K&N Oil Filters.

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,415 Posts
Project Farm is the one I saw and really listed exactly how they tested from right to left. Notice K&N finished last? BUTT anyone wasting time testing FRAM filters I really had to laugh my butt off at that. The only thing Fram is good for is spending money on advertising. Stopped using them way back in the early 80's when I learned how bad they really are. The other guy testing WIX filters I did not see but Wix also makes NAPA Filters. They are identical just different P/N's. They are very reliable as I have used them on my Gold Wing Conversion to external filter for years. It's when I just wanna cruise and not really spread my wings and Zoom Zoom. I have since stopped using ALL K&N Oil Filters.
Roast me if you must. I had used fram oil filters in my first 5 years of driving and changing the oil myself. Only exception is when I ordered Amsoil. When ordered Amsoil, I would either get Wix or the Amsoil oil filter. So, my 93 Cadillac Eldorado TC and my 1st 93 zx7 were tortured with Fram oil filters for a few years. I still have my 1st 93 zx7 engine and plan on rebuilding it eventually. I'm curious to see if there's any damage. Can't say anything about the 93 Eldorado. I totaled it several years ago. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts