Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i decided to do my 600 mile oil change. so i driained that superlight break in oil and then *attempt* to take off the old oil filter. turns out the 07 filter location SUXXX. couldnt get it off due to limited space. so i turned to my last resort. stab it with a screw driver and twist........now this was my LAST resort. in the end. im going to have to take it to the shop and have them work some magic. the oil filter has one side of it completely ripped to shreds because it wouldnt budge.. has n e one else experianced n e thing like that ? i know i read about some one having one to loose. but what about too tight ?

and the reason i was doing it myself is because i had a friend who is certified help me. and the local shop wanted about $280 for a stupid oil change and to check all my fluids...F* that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes many are like that coming from the factory.

Try to got to an auto parts store and get a pair of those oil filter remover pliers. Make sure they are the metal curved ones.

Remove the fairing so you can get in their and grab the filter with the pilers and go for it. Take your time and it will come.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes many are like that coming from the factory.

Try to got to an auto parts store and get a pair of those oil filter remover pliers. Make sure they are the metal curved ones.

Remove the fairing so you can get in their and grab the filter with the pilers and go for it. Take your time and it will come.
RR I didn't think blown up bikes needed oil filters... j/k but yea gorillas installed the first filter on these bikes. :crazyloco

http://kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=85087&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=fast,oil,change

·
Registered
33 Posts
It can be very frustrating:banghead . I punched a screwdriver all the way through it and managed to pry it loose. The pliers are a much better idea. It will eventully brake loose. Alot of swearing helped me alot.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i did all of the above and tried every trick in the book....i adventually got a good hold of the hole i punched and used vice grips and it came off....took me almost 3 hours... grrrr..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an '05, I don't have the history on the bike, but at 6k miles I changed the oil and couldn't get the filter off either...I just left the old one on for now until I can get a filter wrench in there to get it off. At least the oil is fresh... That's the important part!!!:dunno

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yeah, its stupid how tight the factory filter is. Sometimes I'll wrap the filter once with duct tape, it helps give that little extra grip needed to snap it loose.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
i tried that too. :banghead ....

what filters do yall use ? just curious... i know alot of ppl use the K&N...but what do yall think about fram ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i tried that too. :banghead ....

what filters do yall use ? just curious... i know alot of ppl use the K&N...but what do yall think about fram ?
I heard Fram filters are junk. thats coming from a kawi dealer and a few racers. Said they have issues with oil pickup on them...fine for cars not bikes i guess. I run the K&N part number KN-303 and i wont use any other filter but that one on this bike just because the nut on the end is 10x easier to change on this bike

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah. if the stock filter had that i wouldnt have had to go through hell getting it off. i woulda bought a k&n but the shop was sold out...so i figured cheap filter is better than no oil change at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A clogged oil filter can be very hazardous! Not that it would happen easily, but worth noting ; )
I have an '05, I don't have the history on the bike, but at 6k miles I changed the oil and couldn't get the filter off either...I just left the old one on for now until I can get a filter wrench in there to get it off. At least the oil is fresh... That's the important part!!!:dunno

·
Registered
494 Posts
You can pick up a plastic oil filter wrench that'll fit your oil filter for $5.00 at Canadian Tire (I'm sure any automotive store will have a similar one). Mine had a funny lip on it that was getting caught on the oil drain catcher lip under the oil filter. You know which one I mean.

So I just took a file to the filter wrench and shaved off the lip. It's nice having cheap tools sometimes because then you aren't scared to modify them. It fit really well after that, oil filter came off easy, and went on easy.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The filter location on the 05 636 isnt nice either. I pull off the belly pan when ever I change mine. It makes life alot easier. I recomend using the stock oil filter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use a plumbers wrench whenever i change mine out, I think they're also called side arm pliers. they work great on my '94 zx6....now only if i could figure out how to keep the lil from dripping out all over my exhaust pipes...

·
Registered
330 Posts
....now only if i could figure out how to keep the lil from dripping out all over my exhaust pipes...
Try cutting the bottom out of a plastic contaier like a jumbo bleach or laundry detergent container. Cut it on an angle up towars the middle of the container. You should then be able to slip it under the filter area so that any oil will drain out into the bottle & out the spout into a pan to the side of your bike. Just watch the pipes aren't too hot & melt the plastic if you touch them accidentally with the bottle.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought one of those plastic filter tools, like a big giant socked that fits on the end of the filter but being made out of plastic it would expand and slip when I tried to take the filter off.

I ended up using a pipe wrench (plumper's wrench?) to take it off and the filter tool to install the new one to specified torque.

·
Registered
178 Posts
As someone said, the K & N oil filters have the socket piece on the back of the filter so it would be a piece of cake to get it off. I found this out after I did my first self oil change. Sucks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah well...that was the 600 mile oil change. so that was the filter from the factory. i didnt really have a choice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts