Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what oils you folks are running on your ZX's, and maybe even pass along some recommendations as well. I purchased a '07 ZX-6R, and want to do my own wrenching. Also, I noticed that the oil filter is on the side of the motor and it appears that it can get pretty messy when the filter is pulled from the motor. It is necessary to pull off the fairing to do the oil change?? Thanks all.....

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would def pull off the fairings just cause oil changes can get messy real easy...takes like 1 min to take off and put back on...worth the little extra time just incase. I plan on using the kawi oil 10w40 for the first 2 oil changes then switching to a nice synthetic.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You do NOT need to pull the fairings to do an oil change.

There are plenty of threads about this all over the place.

I pull the bottom just so I have more room for my pan but it isn't necessary. Cut up a 2L Pepsi bottle or something and stick the piece of plastic underneath where the filter is. Let the bike drain for a good long while and then when you pull the filter it won't drip hardly at all, and what does will run down the little ramp you made out the side from the bottle.

Takes a LOT of effort to get the filter off the first time.

·
Registered
317 Posts
how many of you took the first oil filter off by hand? PROPS to you all. i had to use a filter wrench.

but now i'm gonna stick with K&N oil filter since they have a nut at the end of the filter, making things ALOT easier to tighten and losen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I woulkd take the fairing off unless your planning on doing an oil like a pit crew. I believe its better to just take your time and do things right, and taking the fairings off gives you lots of space so you dont have to fubble around in side of them. As for oil its good to go with the breakin oil first then a good regular oil, and from there on a synthetic. mines going to run a full synthetic 10w-30

·
Registered
317 Posts
oh no...i didn't know that i was suppose to start with break-in oil, and then so on. at my first oil change which was 900mi, i used FULL-syn. is that bad?

·
Registered
17 Posts
no man its cool normally right out of the dealer they have break in oil. its low quality and you should change it between 500 and 1000 miles depending on how hard you ran it. and its cool to go straight to synthetic, some guys like to do a mineral based oil for the first change to just go through and clean up, but its cool dude it wont hurt anything to cahnge oils till you find something you like just dont change the wieghts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
uh i dont know anyone that rides mobil 1 but everyone that i ride with and the owner at the bike shop i work at all ride car oil whether it be synthetic, blend, or regular. i run valvoline 10w-30 full syn and it does fine.

·
Registered
498 Posts
why i say it's not suitable coz our enjin oil, clucth oil etc are all in one oil so there are special additive for smoother upshift etc. In cars, there are separate... engine oil, transmission oil, clutch etc...

Anyway i'm using Motul 300V 10W-40 on all my previous bikes and current car. No problems whatsoever till now...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Dude there is no such thing as break-in oil. If you believe that then you shouldn't be working on your own bike or going to the dealer who told you such.

There are three kinds of oil - dino (aka pulled out of the ground, not made in a lab), synthetic (derived from dino OR made in a lab - its screwy that it can be both but synthetic just means the oil meets a certain SAE standard), and synthetic blend (which is a mix of the two).

People say that you should use dino oil for the first several thousand miles and then switch to synthetic if you want. Others say there's no point to keep using dino, just switch right away, as modern engines have much tighter machining tolerances and what not that it doesn't matter. Some say that you should use dino for break-in because sythetic is too slippery (it isn't).

Your bike comes with regular old Kawichem dino oil, 5W40 IIRC, nothing special to it, not a "break-in" oil (because again no such thing exists).

I used Maxima dino 5W40 when I did my first oil change at 200 miles. Whatever the dealer puts in at 600 will stay until 1000 at which time I'll probably switch to Mobil 1 synthetic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i know there is know such thing as breakin oil really. they call it that cuz they put it in your bike while your breaking it in. thats the point i was trying to get across. you can call it what ever you want but the oil that is in your bike when you drive it off the lot is breakin oil if it was a better oil they would tell you your first oil change could be at 3000mi but its not thats why you do it within 500 to 1000.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just changed mine yesterday. Do they make a filter relocation kit for these? I know they do for cars and boats...and I think some harleys. It sure would be nice to be able to drop the filter without removing the fairing.

Castrol GTX 10-40 in mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I went ahead and did my first oil change at 900 miles. The oil actually looked pretty clean, (if there were any metal shavings in it at all, they were microscopic small). I replenished my 6 with Repsol 10W/40 non-synthetic for now, and at my next oil change which will come at 4K, I will then shift to a full synthetic. Not sure quite yet if I will go with the Repsol brand as of yet....

·
Registered
151 Posts
the oil that is in your bike when you drive it off the lot is breakin oil if it was a better oil they would tell you your first oil change could be at 3000mi but its not thats why you do it within 500 to 1000.

I think it's because the first 1000 miles is when all the moving metal seats itself and leaves a lot of shavings. Not something you want to leave in your engine long.

Although, Vital engine parts, as the cam, main bearings, gears, etc. are probably lubed with something a little heavier prior to assembly. Also something that'll float around in your oil for a while.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I went ahead and did my first oil change at 900 miles. The oil actually looked pretty clean, (if there were any metal shavings in it at all, they were microscopic small). I replenished my 6 with Repsol 10W/40 non-synthetic for now, and at my next oil change which will come at 4K, I will then shift to a full synthetic. Not sure quite yet if I will go with the Repsol brand as of yet....

Changed at 900 and not planning on doing it again until 4000? My opinion, thats too long/too many miles. I'd plan on doing it again by 2500 at most. Just my opinion but fresh oil is probably the cheapest form of insurance you're going to come by.

I put Golden Spectro 20/50 in all my bikes. But I own old KZ's, an old Z1, and my newest bike is a '90 ZX11. I'm not sure if newer bikes like lighter oil but like I said, GS 20/50 in everything.
T

1 - 20 of 20 Posts