Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I came across this article a long time ago and found it very interesting to say the least. It's like anything in this world there are varied opinions for a lot of subjects. Keep and open mind and read this article and see what you think. I was one that would always warm up an engine before draining the oil, but I've reconsidered that old myth if you will.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Very interesting. I was changing oil this weekend and thinking why it wouldn't be best to just drain out the accumulated cold oil vs. pumping it all over the motor.

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,588 Posts
I wait about 30-60 mins after I get it to operating temp to drain it. I've done all my vehicles like this. 93 caddy eldorado touring coupe; 03 Lexus ES300; 95 caddy eldorado; 06 rx400h, and all previous and current bikes.

Reactions: Old-n-fast

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting. I was changing oil this weekend and thinking why it wouldn't be best to just drain out the accumulated cold oil vs. pumping it all over the motor.
My thoughts exactly for years. I often wondered why should I pump all that old spent oil all throughout the motor only to drain out just part of the bad stuff. After I've gone on a big ride, I bring the bike home, put it on the swingarm stand and let the hot oil drain to the sump pan. The next morning it's ready to go for a complete oil change. I take my time. I'm in NO big rush to get the change done. I'm certainly not in a race to change the oil. I bring out some ice tea, turn on some music and take my time. If it sits in the garage with the drain plug out for an hour I'm fine with that. Since I read that article I have and will change my oil cold.

I thought you guys might be interested in what that article had to say. Not everyone will agree with it and that's fine. We all need to do what makes us comfortable.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Interesting read indeed. I'll give the cold oil change a try next time one of the vehicles needs it

Reactions: KBear

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
always change cold as any impurities are at the bottom ... but thats how i was taught .. now i should go read that PDF as i might be way wrong

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
always change cold as any impurities are at the bottom ... but thats how i was taught .. now i should go read that PDF as i might be way wrong
I await for your update

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
.. now i should go read that PDF as i might be way wrong
No, it's not like that. It's an article in favor of changing your oil cold. I will be changing the oil in my ZX9RF1 tomorrow and it will be changed cold! 😉

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
I await for your update
wait no more... update pending

Huh ... its what I was taught .. so there ya go, that old dude did know what he was talking about.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I wait about 30-60 mins after I get it to operating temp to drain it. I've done all my vehicles like this. 93 caddy eldorado touring coupe; 03 Lexus ES300; 95 caddy eldorado; 06 rx400h, and all previous and current bikes.
Any pics of the ETC?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Any pics of the ETC?
I can dig up some pics of the 93 ETC I had. I totaled it when I accidentally rear-ended someone. And by rear-end, I mean lightly tapping the corner of the passenger side rear bumper of a trailblazer. The ETC absorbed most of the impact on the driver-side front quarter panel. I had to send it to the crusher to pay my tickets :| .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts