Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alot of people say it is best to let youre bike brake in b4 you change youre oil.. i was told to do so around 600 miles.. i had just recently heard that the first oil chnge should have been done around 20 miles to get all the metal out... i have no clue about what should be done... ne 1 know?? 2 late 4 me w/ the 20 miles. but i would like 2 know when and how often to change my oil......

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can never harm your engine by doing an oil change. Thus you can never do it enough. I think riding for 600 miles with metal shavings is nuts. I changed my oil at 150 and it has so much in there it looked like the oil had glitter in it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just curious how you kept from making a complete mess taking the filter off? That is going to be a PITA!

·
Registered
683 Posts
You can't change it too much. My oil always looks glittery. I think its the clutch.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I didn't even remove the fairing to take off the oil filter in my 07. I just reached in and turned. The original filter was torqued in there so tight I had to do something I hate and pierce it with a screwdriver to turn it. Replace it with a K&N and taking them off in the future should be a breeze. I also put a towel under it to catch any dripping but there really wasn't much.

·
Registered
56 Posts
just reach ion its easy to get to me n my buddy changed our oil at the same time he has an 06 gixxer i got an 07 zx6r i was done an hour before him

·
Registered
488 Posts
i didnt have to remove n e thing either but what ever is easy for ya! you can never change your oil too much, but my boy at the shop said its ok to change it at 500 (prefered) to get all that stuff out (its from the clutch) and its brand new from the dealer you might wanna take it to the dealer cuz it could void your guarantee just food for thought

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ty.... i was thinkin about jus doin it myself this weeknd i am mechanically challenged so it should be fun... ill let ya know how it goes..

·
Registered
144 Posts
You don't have to be mechanically gifted to change oil. My girlfriend could do it and she breaks everything she touches. Just remember these easy steps.

1. Remove oil fill cap (to let in air when oil is draining out bottom)
2. Put drain pan under bike and remove drain plug (do when bike is warm but not hot)
3. While oil is draining, twist off oil filter (this might be the messiest step if you're not careful)
4. Take a bit of new oil and rub it around the seal on new filter. Put onto bike twisting till it's tight and then 3/4 of a turn more.
5. Put drain plug back in.
6. Fill bike with quality motorcycle oil.

fin

·
Registered
144 Posts
What's the best motorcycle oil?
That's something that's been debated as long as there have been motorbikes. I use Castrol Act-evo. It's a synthetic blend and I've never had a problem with it. I plan to go full synthetic my next oil change.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just keep in mind that untill the bike is broken in it isnt a good idea to use synthetic or semi-synthetic for that matter. Use a good quality mineral based oil for the first 1600-3000 miles and then switch to synthetic.
This way you'll give the motor a good break in period with the less "slippery" oil

·
Registered
92 Posts
did mine at 900 (reg oil), then changed again at 2000 using a syn blend

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just keep in mind that untill the bike is broken in it isnt a good idea to use synthetic or semi-synthetic for that matter. Use a good quality mineral based oil for the first 1600-3000 miles and then switch to synthetic.
This way you'll give the motor a good break in period with the less "slippery" oil
This is pure speculation and internet nonsense.

You'll find that a high quality engine will come straight from the factory with synthetic oil in it.

Basically this is a hold over from a couple of decades ago when machining tolerances were... worse then they are now. Which is to say fits were not as close and seals were not as good. Now, you could drain the oil out immediately and dump synthetic oil in there straight off and get the same break in results.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is pure speculation and internet nonsense.

You'll find that a high quality engine will come straight from the factory with synthetic oil in it.

Basically this is a hold over from a couple of decades ago when machining tolerances were... worse then they are now. Which is to say fits were not as close and seals were not as good. Now, you could drain the oil out immediately and dump synthetic oil in there straight off and get the same break in results.
my mechanic suggested ideally its best to run through the break in 600 miles and then change it synthetic

the only reason it probably doesnt come from the factory with syntethic is because then no one would have a choice on what they wanted to use

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is a big debate, as ive heard that you shouldnt use fully synth in them. I think it might cause clutch slip if I remember, or that might be something else, I just remember being told not to use it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I use syn in car/bike and (knock on wood) never had any issues. As far as break-ins go, there are alot of high end cars that come right from the factory w/syn oil. Getting the filter off the '07 without making a mess can be a pain. What I do is tip the bike to the throttle side (right) to allow the filter to drain to the oil pan, set back upright, then remove the filter, I've never made a mess yet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts