Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I love my new 10 r. Just put a 100 miles on it today in 50 degree weather.

Is it time to change the oil now? It now has a 138 miles. Another 862 painfull miles to go for the break in. Just had a few questions.

1.Would u guys reccomend the first oil change with 10 w 40?

2.Should i chage the oil at all or let the old oil stay in longer?

3. Where excatly is the filter located and do i have to take the fairings off to change the oil?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
somebody please reply..

·
Registered
990 Posts
Is it time to change the oil now? It now has a 138 miles. Another 862 painfull miles to go for the break in. Just had a few questions.

1.Would u guys reccomend the first oil change with 10 w 40?

2.Should i chage the oil at all or let the old oil stay in longer?

3. Where excatly is the filter located and do i have to take the fairings off to change the oil? .
Replies:
1. Use a good quality semi-synthetic during break-in

2. There is no harm in changing you oil as soon as you like. There are good argument in favour of it.

3. Your owners handbook will indicate where it is but if you look at the front & underside of the engine it will be obvious. I can't advise you specifically as I don't own a 10R

There is an interesting (& controversial) website regarding break-in at:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Whether or not you use the advice there is entirely up to you but certainly extra oil changes cannot hurt.

Excerpt from the site regards oil changes:
Q: What's the third most common cause of engine problems ???
A: Not changing the oil soon enough after the engine is first run !!

Change Your Oil Right Away !!
The best thing you can do for your engine is to change your oil and filter after the first 20 miles. Most of the wearing in process happens immediately, creating a lot of metal in the oil. Plus, the amount of leftover machining chips and other crud left behind in the manufacturing process is simply amazing !! You want to flush that stuff out before it gets recycled and embedded in the transmission gears, and oil pump etc...

Why do the manufacturers recommend waiting until 600 miles to
flush out all the loose metal ???

This is a good question ...

3 more words on break- in:
NO SYNTHETIC OIL !!

Use Valvoline, Halvoline, or similar 10 w 40 Petroleum Car Oil for at least
2 full days of hard racing or 1,500 miles of street riding / driving.
After that use your favorite brand of oil.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, i also read the mototune article. Interesting, now i will not follow his advice. I will ride the bike as i usually ride it, trying to avoid high rpm ranges.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Leave the fairings on!!!!!!

Obtain a 3/8 drive nylon strap type oil filter wrench.Reach through the cutout on the shifter side of the bike.Install strap wrench,now put long flex head 3/8 ratchet onto filter wrench.Loosen filter, but not enough that it leaks,remove tools.Obtain a piece of thin cardboard about motorcycle tag size but 1&1/2 times longer.Bend to form a trough. Slide under filter so that oil will travel out away from bike & drain into catch pan positioned under end of cardboard.Now reach in & remove pre-loosened filter by hand.Install new filter with 17mm nut made onto end to aid in next oil change.K&n filters have this feature. But I don't know about others.Tighten filter using flex head ratchet & 17mm shallow socket but don't over do it.Filter o-rings tighten up after thermal cycling.The factory filter is so stuck it will require extreme force to remove.With new filter installed ,wipe any residue from around it.Now slide pan under level zx10 remove oil drain plug & drain oil.Reinstall plug & soft aluminum washer,torque to spec.Put in 3&1/2 quarts 10w/40 kawasaki motorcycle oil to avoid warranty issues.Put oil filler cap on & run bike for 30 to 60 seconds. Turn bike off, now fill level bike to 1/2 oil window, install cap your done.:smile . (KAWBOY).Change kawi oil every 500 to 750miles. After 3k miles switch to amsoil or redline synthetic.But stay with 10w/40.I change my synthetic every 1k.For warr. purposes don't go past factory reco. intervals.Be shure what you use is high detergent & motorcycle wet clutch compatible.

·
Registered
98 Posts
now i feel bad cause my first oil change was at 500 miles. i hope i dont have metal chips embedded in my gears and stuff. how likely is that?

·
Registered
515 Posts
ahh, amsoil, good stuff!!, I use that too, 20/50 , can't beat it... its really cool that you can send in your oil samples to amsoil anytime you want and they'll analyze it for you, just to be sure all is well...

later

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just changed my oil a coupla days ago. Had 606 miles on the odo. Put in Spectro Golden 4 (Petroleum/Synthetic blend) and a K&N oil filter. She's happy.........:cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts