Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had first service done at dealers they have informed me to get oil and filter changed at 1500 miles. It does'nt say this in the owners manual. It also say's to change the shaft oil at first service which they did'nt do either and I had to do myself. So do I change the oil at 1500 miles or not ? Anybody else been informed of this ?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Nor me... But it would be nice to know why they said that to you. Maybe they have heard something on the Kawasaki service grapevine that we don't know about yet. Phone them and ask.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil Change

I had the zzr1400 before this one and the same dealer advised oil and filter at 1500 miles also. Maybe it is just a recommendation as it's not in the service book or owners book. For what it will cost though it can't do any harm so I may aswell do it myself. Incidently I changed the shaft oil again today and it has now done 1000 miles. I last changed it at 600 miles miles and it was very black. This time it was just grey and murky so everything should be run in now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
According to the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual, you should change the oil at 600 miles and then at 7500 miles and every 7500 after that. The shaft oil should be changed at the same increments. I changed both at 500 miles and just changed the oil and filter again at 1000. I'm now running fully synthetic (Amsoil) in the crankcase and fully sythetic (Mobil 1) gear lube in the shaft. I haven't heard of the 1500 mile thing, but as it was earlier stated, it can't hurt, especially if you're doing it yourself. I, personally, will be going with 3500 mile increments, half of what the manual calls for, or twice the amount of times the manual calls for. I know it's overkill but in almost 20 years of owning a bike, I have never ruined a motor or even went through a clutch (thank God!:smile )

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have done 5 oil changes in the first 2,000 miles and dumped the diff oil 3 times. The first 50 miles is where all the crap shavings tend to show up, so that was my first oil and filter and rear diff change. My oil and filter changes are usually done at 1500 mile intervals, I like my oil nice and clean when it drains.:crazyloco

1 - 7 of 7 Posts