Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a simple question with maybe not a simple answer.

Why is there a hole in the castings on each side of the spokes? Is there a specific purpose for these? Is it a casting design to make for a better casting? This is just a question I've been thinking of for a while. Just curious.
Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel Rim Bicycle part

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look a little closer. See where the spoke meets the rim. On each side of the spoke there is a round hole molded into the casting. It's as if you could bolt something to it. If it's there just for a design feature, I would think that would be more trouble than it worth to add to the casting. I don't see them as drain holes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Look a little closer. See where the spoke meets the rim. On each side of the spoke there is a round hole molded into the casting. It's as if you could bolt something to it. If it's there just for a design feature, I would think that would be more trouble than it worth to add to the casting. I don't see them as drain holes.
I looked to see if I could find anything like a wheel cover or hubcap. Didn't see anything. The holes are on many different models. So my guess would be part of the manufacturing process, possibly the contact points for moving, painting, heat treating, etc. The video I came across mentioned centrifugal style forming, like a potters wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts