Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

During winter season (i'm from eastern Europe) i did my best to show some TLC to my P3:
New cam chain, tighten alternator chain, new clutch, flowt bowl mod, and carb cleaning and synch (with new jets - 170's)

After that it takes very long time (compared to last year) till i can lower the choke lever, also (and this is the biggest problem) if i would give the bike smooth full throttle (i was told that carb bikes will never respond properly to just fully open throttle) it will hesitate untill i let go just a bit. Also from stading start it is the same thing - even if i would crank it to 3-5K rpm's and release the clutch it will not shoot as a rabid monkey, but go very very slowly at first.

Just to put it in a perspective - i was taken over by 600 Hornet (2003 and 2008) couple of times.

The float is about 15mm above the carb body - as suggested in float bowl mod guide

I'm quite sure it is carb settings but would you be able to provide any feedback?? I will ask my mechanic what are the jets settings at this point.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Hi

During winter season (i'm from eastern Europe) i did my best to show some TLC to my P3:
New cam chain, tighten alternator chain, new clutch, float bowl mod, and carb cleaning and synch (with new jets - 170's)

After that it takes very long time (compared to last year) till i can lower the choke lever, also (and this is the biggest problem) if i would give the bike smooth full throttle (i was told that carb bikes will never respond properly to just fully open throttle) it will hesitate untill i let go just a bit. Also from stading start it is the same thing - even if i would crank it to 3-5K rpm's and release the clutch it will not shoot as a rabid monkey, but go very very slowly at first.

Just to put it in a perspective - i was taken over by 600 Hornet (2003 and 2008) couple of times.

The float is about 15mm above the carb body - as suggested in float bowl mod guide

I'm quite sure it is carb settings but would you be able to provide any feedback?? I will ask my mechanic what are the jets settings at this point.
If that's the results of 'Lee Zard TLC,' then return it to the 'non-Lee Zard TLC' settings you had last year. :crackup

Carb throttle response has to do with many factors, none of which have to do specifically with the fact that 'it's because the bike has carbs.' It is possible to achieve spot-on throttle response and excellent power if tuned correctly. The mistake you're making is that you are falling into the one-size-fits-all trap.

The best advice I can give is for you to venture over to the 7R section and study up on how ZX7RJoe and many others tune their 7s. You'll find there's more to it than putting shiny new jets in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took me some time to check.

The TLC was not from Lee Zard, but from my mechanic - that I'm starting to think didn't pay as much attention to as I paid for.

I took the carbs out myself, and checked all settings.
Main needle doesn't have clips, it is not adjustable, so no way to say what is the position.

Jets would be 170/180/180/170
I have set float on 13.5mm

And alot has helped, the response is much better and now I know in which direction to go with these changes.

The only issue that remains is when giving WOT it will go only to 7 or 8k rpm, and nothing more - letting the throttle go just by 1mm or so and it will accelerate like crazy till redline.

None of the changes that I made gave any results, even going back to my old/stock muffler didn't help.

Any ideas for the problem with WOT? Because with final tweaks i will be able to manage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm at 100-800meters, I will change the settings on weekend - because this time I didn't even had chance to sync it (no tools).
Also on weekend I will once again double check all settings versus the stock and versus the Factory Pro tuning guide.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i run the same setup you have with 160-165-165-160 jets not sure on float height! and my bike runs great very strong!!! with good throttle responce

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And for some reason still no luck (though some progress)
After raising float to 15mm, and richening low end to 3 turns out (had 2.5 out) - This solved problem with hanging idle (it wouldn't drop to idle but stay for some time), now this issue is gone.
Throttle response feels more crisp and clean, but still at WOT it will cut on 7/8k rpm.
I'm drawing a blank in here

Though now that i think of it, over the winter my mechanic did replace the cam chain, I'm starting to wonder if he could skip on one teeth on intake cam? Would this sound reasonable?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi

Just wanted to share an update (maybe someone will be able to find a solution)

I changed jets to 160/170/170/160 The engine response became much much better - more crisp, quicker (yet still not perfect - there's was a little stutter if i try to blip the throttle).

The biggest problem was that it was very nice when the engine was cold, after it warmed up it wouldstart to bog down, stutter, hesitate
I tried to adjust float level once again (raised it to 16.5mm) but this seems to make thing worse (on cold engine) - right now if i try to blip the throttle it take alot of throttle input to raise the RPM's even a little bit.

The screw is 2.5 turns out (to clarify all the settings).

I would be very grateful for any help.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Still too rich. Go down to 150/160 jets. Floats to 15mm. Have fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Christi

Thanks for the update - and actually I hove followed, 150/160/160/150
Floats around 15.5mm, mixture screw at 2.75 (around) turns out.

Current progress - after doing around 200 miles the sound changed a bit (to a bit more "whiny"), response is better but still lacks something (you know it's supposed to be around 100+HP - it should launch like a rocket! ).

But for a reason that i cannot understand problem with WOT is still persistant. When i turn the grip all the way - it will slowly accelerate to 8k RPM's and stop, but now after i release the grip some the acceleration is not that explosive.

but now the fuel consumption dropped from around 29.5MPG to 38MPG.

I'm a bit desperate and currently trying to find new & improved bike mechanic - or magician :D

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Every P model I have worked on seems to like 14mm floats. Try that. Your main jets look good, and the pilots are workable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bummer.

No progress what so ever, after moving to 14mm float with 2turns out on pilots it seems to get worse - throttle response is still very boggy, and what more now it struggles to start when hot.

I will go for a dyno test this week to check what is the current max power and power curve on thursday I will leave it in different mechanics and if all else fails I'm putting back the vacum pump/reverting to original settins.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts