Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Her`s what TedG,with experiance of ZX12+ZX10R,thinks after riding his new2008 Concours 14.....pretty much my thaughts...:smile

After riding the C14 all week and putting on 1450 miles, I have made some interesting discoveries when comparing the ZX10 to the Concours 14.
First the 10:
So today I took out the 10 for a quick jaunt up to Virginia City and do the truck route. Jumping on the 10 the first thing you notice is how light it comes off the side stand, Then just pushing out of the garage the thing seems like a toy. Taking off you really notice how low the bars are and how high the pegs are. The 10 seems to turn slowly at low speeds in comparison to the C14. Then you notice the vibrations (which I really didn't notice before) but they don't bother you because they seem natural and make you part of the machine. Droning down the highway sucks, in town traffic sucks, stopping at lights sucks, the 10 is at home on a twisty road and is just a joy, The wheelies are so much fun, Hammering the throttle coming out of a corner and lofting the wheel is priceless. One also notices that if you tilt you head back a bit the motorcycle disappears from underneath you giving you a feeling of freedom and almost like flying. This is about the C14 so I won't go into the 10's handling, but the power and ability to muster speed is incredible.
Now the C14:
I jump off the 10 and after a Gatorade I jump on the 14, The first thing you notice is the how heavy it comes off the stand and how big and heavy it seems to be when pushing it out of the garage. But thumb the starter and the world changes, The smoothness hits you in the face, Just riding to the gas station is a joy, Once moving at 5 mph all the weight goes away, The thing feels light and nimble and turns very quickly. Gently shifting through the gears the power is so smooth if you don't watch the speedo you are in for a ticket. The riding position is really good (I have changed my mind about altering it) just plain comfortable. After hopping off the 10 you notice there is a bunch of motorcycle under and in front of you, So off to Downieville, This route will take me 35 miles of freeway, 35 miles of mountain roads, and 35 miles of twisty bumpy roads, Droning down the freeway is a pleasure, The thing wants to go fast and even in with 6th (OD) being super tall (10500 RPM = 230 MPH) there is good power and you seldom need to downshift, but if you do the thing is a rocket in disguise. You do notice a pretty good amount of vibration( nothing like the 10 or a BMW k bike) when you accelerate hard. But once you are in OD and semi legal speeds the thing goes into super smooth mode.. Now onto the mountain roads toward Sierraville (BD knows what I am talking about) The only thing that stops you from absolutely destroying that road is the cops. Roll into a corner marked 40 at 90 and just lean off a bit and the thing tracks through like it is on rails, Accelerate out (in 3rd) and the thing rolls up to 110 120 ish no sweat. There is a slight bit of wallow on the really fast corners,but nothing a bit of rear preload wouldn't cure. If you weren't looking for it you would never notice it. The bike just ate out the road and it seemed like I traveled the 35 miles in 10 minutes, Now onto the last part on to Downieville, This road is pretty twisty with uneven surfaces with a layer of dirt in places from trucks. This thing just rips them up, Slide your butt off the seat, stick your knee out and there are sport bikes that will disappear in the mirror. You have to shift alot to really go fast and no other bike needs a slipper clutch more than this one, There is a huge difference between gears and down shifting makes for big RPM changes. The clutch is a dream, Just hammer it down and the clutch stops all the foolishness. The bike is so quiet you can hear the tires screeching under you, Scares you at first. Then hit it and this thing rockets out of the corner, NO shaft lift or squat,,,,none. I am impressed with the Bridgestone Sport Touring tires.
I got to Downieville not tired, Got a lemonade and turned around and went home, Same story in reverse.
This bike is not a home run, it is a Grand slam.
Also there is on bike on this planet that needs a radar detector more than this one, It is so smooth and quiet, you have no clue of your speed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yet ANOTHER confirmation that I made the right choice by ordering one! Thank you Swed for posting this for us. I am going slowly insane waiting for mine to arrive.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yet ANOTHER confirmation that I made the right choice by ordering one! Thank you Swed for posting this for us. I am going slowly insane waiting for mine to arrive.
When your bike finally shows up, you're gonna go crazy! The waiting sucks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just took delivery of my C14 ABS yesterday. I have only put on 115 miles, but couldn't agree more! The only cons I can think of are: 1. Needs a larger windshield 2. She gets a little warm, but in the northeast this is a good thing at times 3. I need more time to ride it

·
Registered
104 Posts
Picked up my bike on Thursday. Done 475 miles here in the UK. Agree totally. Once you get going this thing is awesome. I come from sports bikes (R1, GSX1000, Busa's, ZX12, 996 etc) so this thing does seem HUGE when taking it off the side stand. But perservere with it....the weight and mass just vanishes. I just can't wait till she's (why are they all she's?) run in so i can surprise a view of the sports bike riders.

One thing thouogh...I'm thinking of going for a smaller screen!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well I have 800klms on the clock after a ride through our southern highlands with a mix of freeway and twisty country roads and my mate on his ducati 800sport could not believe how good it was. I' thinking a tinted double bubble screen would look good on the black GTR. Not to sure of the Bridgestones and need to sort the suspension out as some of the roads down here are quite buppy. Cant wait to open her up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am the guy who wrote the original post. I didn't mention how much nicer it is to commute back and forth to work, and the fact that you can actually carry stuff in the bags. like a clear shield, god forbid one would stay out after dark. This bike is making me rediscover motorcycling.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the reviews.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have had mine 6 days and after 800 miles, I have determined this to be the best bike ever owned BAR NONE. I have owned 2005 R1, 2005 FJR1300, 2006 Hayabusa, 2006 GSXR100, 2007 Triumph Rocket 3 and 2002 Honda 919.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I will take it one further, not only is it the best bike I have ever owned but the best I have ever ridden. And I was a motorcycle mechanic for 12 years and have ridden a lot of bikes, mind you that was many years ago, but at the time I had ridden what was considered to be the best and not were as over the top as this.
This is by far the most un-compromised bike I have ever ridden. No it will not carve up a road like my ZX10 but it will surprise the hell out of most sport bikes. And do it with comfort, with storage, and style. This is what sport touring is supposed to be.

·
Registered
98 Posts
250 klm

Just got back from my first decent ride , have now done 250 klm , as others have said , i cant wait for my new screen , after riding my St 1100 for the last ten years with a extra high screen at any speed with the visor up , i didnt remember what wind noise was . So far , no problems , bike is a real blast . Other things that i will do is a radiator guard , protective film to sides of the tank , may do a seat cover , and am still working on a bracket for the Zumo GPS.

Cheers Holma ..

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm 49 be riding since I was 12 had around 100 street bikes. Not a misprint. To many to list but motorcycling is my passion by a longshot. I to feel this is the best bike I've owned to date. No it's not a Goldwing but close enough for me, 50 more HP and 300 lb lighter. It's no a zx-10 but damn it don't do bad. Damn nice bike!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts